Random questions

Hmm, in my one lifeguard kind of situation, I used the side stroke. That’s also what I used to drag my son back to shore. But maybe that’s just because it’s the stroke I’m best at.

The breast stroke may be faster for getting out to whoever you are rescuing. Side stoke would be for coming back in with them.

I never had to rescue anyone in my time as a guard as a young person. I recertified a couple of years ago to provide backup at our pool, and didn’t have to in the few times I helped out either. My kids have been/are pool lifeguards, and two have performed what I will call guard interventions, as they entered the water to give a swimmer assistance, but not quite as serious as someone needing resuscitation.

What I remember from training for open water types of rescues, the ones in which you will be most likely to need to swim to the “victim” is as you finish closing the distance, you need to keep your head above water to keep your eye on them. If you can do this adequately while doing side stroke, that’s fine, even dog paddle works. Most of my classmates were competitive swimmers who had an adequate breaststroke, so that’s what we used. In a pool rescue situation where the water is too deep for the guard to stand in, we practiced water entry techniques that kept our head above water the whole time. For a conscious victim, you can pretty much sling your rescue float to them almost immediately after entering the water since you are so close.

soy is correct (at least as I remember it) in that the standard return for an unconscious or very weakened victim is essentially sidestroke. Trailing arm is typically draped over one shoulder of victim, across their chest, and under the opposite armpit (they are on their back with their head toward you).

I’m beginning to think the reason the dog gets so excited when I come home (more than she shows for anyone else) is that she thinks it’s a miracle that I’ve survived the outside world without her and now I’m wondering if I should be insulted?

1 Like

wasn’t she your dog before she met LF and that kid that may or may not be yours? Pretty sure she just has more of a loyalty to you as her owner than them.

my dog i had at my parents house was like that with me because i had 2 weeks between graduating college and starting a job and i spent all of it with the new dog. so i was her favorite because she got to know me first.

Of course I love you more. Go throw ball. :dog:

3 Likes

3 Likes

Of all the JFGs in the world, you’re the JFGest.

2 Likes

hey @JFG what does JFG stand for?

He’s not going to tell you. He’ll post about being conflicted about revealing, then give hints for a long time, and then you’ll have to just f’nin’ guess, kinda like my actuarial exam answering strategy.

4 Likes

ISWYDT.

JustForGetit.

3 Likes

is that what it stands for or is that just what you’re telling me to do? I DON’T KNOW!

1 Like

Another option for anyone’s notice, JaskentFondlesGoats.

2 Likes

3 Likes

After his supposed reappearance, he seems to have disappeared again.

yeah, i noticed that. wonder why. was he banned or got bored the minute he got here?

I’ve never seen JFG & Jas in the same room. Just sayin’’.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen you in the same room as either of them. Hmmm.

1 Like

Touché.