Random questions

Interested in your opinion. I haven’t read or listened to either. I’ve been listening to audiobooks more than reading this past year.

I’m old as dirt, but my wisdom teeth never attempted to come in. Dentists have told me that they don’t exist at all on the bottom. They do on top, but every dentists stance is, if they don’t bother you, let them stay there.

Is there a certain age where you can entirely stop worrying that they will make a move to try and enter this world? there is no room for them, so if they do, i’ll need them out. There is barely enough room for my other teeth as it is. Got braces as a kid to straighten them, and some orthodontists thought I needed to remove teeth just to fit them. I kept all my teeth, but as a result, there is no room at all for more.

I mean, maybe when i’m like 80, if I live that long, and lose a bunch of teeth due to old age, I’ll want these others to come in.

I have the opposite problem. My teeth are small and my wisdom teeth are all in, in use, and keeping the rest of my teeth in place post-braces.

I don’t know if there’s ever an age where you stop worrying about them moving; I’d definitely defer to the dentist on that. And your logic about them possibly being useful when you’re old seems sound to this lay-person.

oh, my teeth aren’t big. my mouth is just too small.

1 Like

I got your missing ones. I had an extra one on both sides, but on the top. I think it’s genetic though, two of my kids also have extra ones. The extras are smaller thankfully, but still hurt when erupting, 15 years after the originals grew in. My mouth was big enough on top for them, but they messed up my lower teeth a little (not crooked, but the back teeth don’t line up with the top teeth because they leaned inwards).

Watching the Olympic Swimming trials: Is knowing how to do the breast stroke useful for anything besides those times when you are in a race where you need to use the breast stroke?

Similar question for the others except for free style.

I think that most Olympic sports do not have a lot of practical applications outside of competitive sports. When it is vitally important to run 100m extremely fast, but makes no difference your speed after 100m? Or hit a ball that’s coming towards you after 0 or 1 bounces but only if it’s inside some arbitrary lines? Or throw a ball into a net while swimming in a pool?

I mean, I assume you’re looking for something other than coaching, serving as a commentator, serving as a judge/referee/official, etc. Or playing a similar sport (like being good at breast stroke might be correlated with being good at butterfly stroke).

I guess another way of asking the same basic question is: why was the breast stroke developed?

Most of the track and field events can be traced back fairly easily to combat training. They’ve been stripped down to their basics, but that’s fine. You don’t have “running backwards” or “skipping” or anything like that in the track events (except for hurdles, I guess - but again, that could be helpful in combat training), - it’s a simple “get from A to B as quick as you can”, with different definitions of “A” and “B”.

Swimming in general makes sense in that light. The breast stroke (and butterfly), just doesn’t. If you need to swim from point A to point B as quickly as possible - use the front crawl. Something like the side stroke can be helpful if you need to carry something along with you (like another person).

The breast stroke just seems really slow and inefficient (spending a lot of energy going up and down instead of foward). It’s the “skipping” of swimming. It just seems like it exists so that people can race with it - which is fine, but I’m wondering if I’m missing something.

Other organized sports have their own issues in this regard, but I’m not going to bother going there.

I really care very little about sports in general, but I do enjoy the olympics.

Ah, I see. A few seconds of Google research suggests that it is actually older than the faster crawl and butterfly strokes.

People who swim long distances like to change strikes from time to time. Sometimes i swim around a small island with a real swimmer. It takes about an hour, maybe a bit more. I’m not a real swimmer, i use flippers, and take it easy. But my companions always do the breast strike for part of the time. They usually use the crawl, backstroke, and sometimes the sidestroke, too.

(I, wearing my flippers, mostly use a slow flutter kicks, of course, but do a little side stroke. Because i, too, want to mix it up. It’s tiring to do the same thing to long.)

1 Like

The breast stroke is good for (1) I don’t want to get my hair wet & (2) I want to get from A to B but I don’t want to exert a lot of energy…imo…ymmv

I like to think of it as the intense version of how you swim when you don’t want to get your head wet

1 Like

And I think butterfly is just because it looks cool when done well. Similar to how a dolphin would swim.

This made me laugh for some reason…

Track does have race walking. Or did. So there is the artificial method of how fast can you go with bizzare constraint even in track. but most T&F are (as noted) anchored in something reasonable IMO. Most/all sports have some totally arbitrary aspect (the lines, number of bounces, whatever).

I don’t have to outrun the bear…

1 Like

rong

1 Like

Forgot about that one.

Outside of middle school boy double entendres, breast stroke is used when you want to keep your eye on what you are swimming toward, like in a lifeguard rescue kind of situation.

2 Likes

Thanks