Random Political Thoughts

What is new is the focus of boycotting any product that tries to make an accomodation or appeal to the LGBTQ community.

Right, and they are very proud of their success.

They got enough rednecks to boycott a company that the company then had to backtrack enough to piss off liberal customers.

A decade of social media exaggerations of woke extremism reinforced by foxnews coverage during primetime is finally paying off!

It won’t stop at LGBTQ related objections.

O M G I saw a young couple sitting on the front steps of CFH the other day :nauseated_face:

the guy had that douchey thick curly hair and kind of a mean mug; he gave off Young Ted Kaczynski vibes … the girl looked like she can’t wait for her belly to be filled with racist babies

Yep, that’s an interesting question.

Suppose Target has special merchandise expressly highlighting Pride Month. I can see that as something that can be pulled and they just go back to business as usual.

If “it ends” with objections to special events and merchandise, I can see an end. If it becomes, “They have a gay vice president, so boycott”, I think it runs out of steam.

And, there’s the issue of choices. There are a lot of beer brands available. There are fewer brick and mortar general merchandisers. It’s easy to boycott a few high fashion companies that feature trans models. I’ve seen right wing comments about "I stopped watching the NFL when they went all ‘woke’ ". But, for people who were actually fans, I think it’s hard to keep that up.

I think that mass market companies won’t go out of their way to advertise a “woke agenda” and they will be fine.

My knew favorite Congressperson: Jared Moskowitz D-FL

1 Like

It is becoming a cult.

bob kraft wore AF1s to the inauguration. bonus points for that. it was 45’s inauguration, so balance out the points. (kraft seems like a not totally awful person, despite the happy ending thing and losing his compass after his wife passed)

1 Like

After 9/11 and into the arguments for the Iraq war, George Bush constantly claimed that the terrorists “hate our freedoms”. I always thought that was stupid. Why would anyone care about “our freedoms”. Much more likely that they hated our insistance in involving ourselves in their business.

Recently, as I’ve observed the reactions from the right to LGBT rights (trans in particular), it is pretty obvious to me that those on the right actually do hate the freedoms of these people.

So, while I still think Bush was pulling stuff out of his butt, it’s not as ridiculous as it sounded that someone really could “hate our freedoms”.

Trump: “Don’t joke about Biden’s health.”
Also Trump: “…Sleepy Joe…”

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: Must be an election coming up, for him to be retconning himself this hard.

2 Likes

The other day, the almost-mother-in-law saw that Sound of Freedom movie with friends. Headlines are mixed about it. How much of it is substance, and how much of it is Qperoni pizza type stuff?

Don’t really know, but both Jim Caviezel and the guy the movie is based on are big into Q, and that’s all I need to know to not see it.

1 Like

Very interesting study showing causal relationship between early sexual activity and major depressive disorder. Bet this doesn’t make anyone want to rush off and start teaching young people it’s healthier for them to wait to have sex.

When individuals have sexual encounters between 12 and 14 with two or more partners, the risk for later mental illness increases.

Studies with obvious results…

1 Like

or depressed children, kids with low self esteem, are the ones more likely to have sex at young ages

7 Likes

Didn’t some state recently make it legal (again) for kids to get married at that age?

1 Like

I feel there’s an inequality in there.

It wouldn’t surprise me, but you’re probably thinking of this guy.

Criticized by his colleague, Democratic state Representative Peter Meredith, for an earlier vote in which Moon voted against changing state laws to raise the minimum marrying age, Moon asked Meredith, “Do you know any kids who have been married at age 12? I do. And guess what? They’re still married.”

Not quite, they voted against repealing an existing law that made it legal for kids to get married at that age.

There are a bunch of states where kids can get married at crazy young ages. I believe all of them require parental consent, and some require judicial consent as well. Some have no minimum age, some do. My recollection from when I looked into this was that states with no minimum age all required judicial review, but I could be wrong about that.

He finally acquiesced on Sweden…

1 Like

Illuminating article on the history and awkward relationship of the US to its Pacific territories. Guam’s journey on changing its status is particularly interesting. Link to the (gifted) article is provided. Well worth the long read.

2 Likes