Random Political Thoughts

Yep, total POS grifter.

He was board certified under the ABO, which is a real organization, from 1995-2005. He started the NOB because he hates it when someone gets something he doesn’t: when he got his board certification, it only lasted for 10 years, but older ophthalmologists had lifelong certifications. He resented that they got grandfathered in when the ABO went to 10 year renewals and had a big pout.

1 Like

For those that want some more detail:

But it turns out that the American Board of Ophthalmology (ABO), the official ABMS board for the field, hasn’t heard from Dr. Paul since 2005, which was when his initial certification lapsed. As the Louisville Courier-Journal reported this week, Dr. Paul is now certified by an organization called the National Board of Ophthalmology (NBO).

Which is convenient, since when the NBO incorporated in 1999, the documents list one Rand Paul as both its founding president and director. The NBO went out of business in 2000, but Paul resurrected it in 2005, just in time to revive his lapsed board certification. In contrast to the ABO, which has a staff of 11 in its Philadelphia office, the NBO’s address is a UPS box in Bowling Green. Rented by, well, you know.

In a letter to a Washington Post blogger after the story broke, Paul claimed that he let his ABO certification lapse and founded an alternative organization “to protest the American Board of Ophthalmology’s decision to grandfather in the older ophthalmologists and not require them to recertify.”

I can appreciate a good protest (and the grandfather issue bugs quite a few younger docs), but this is a bit much: Paul ditches the ABO on principle but holds himself out to be board certified via an organization he invented; one that, as far as anyone can tell, has precisely no requirements or public footprint.

1 Like

This was a more articulate answer than I was going to give. I didn’t know some people considered him a real doctor except for people who simply saw “Doctor” attached to him. He was a doctor once, of course.

That’s what I should’ve done when my old actuarial employer and I had enough of each other’s :ox: :poop:. I should’ve just become a fellow of my own society!

1 Like

Well I didn’t know those details. But “a real MD who was previously board certified” appears to not be in doubt at any rate.

I wonder about his continuing education credits.

I went to a cell phone repair store yesterday to get my cell phone battery replaced. The store is a one man shop, and he has multiple “Let’s Go Brandon” shirts on display. I did not check the 2020 map, but I remember in 2016, my town (or maybe county?) was like 88/12 democrat/republican in the presidential election.

It got me thinking of kinds of things. Like if he loses business because of that, how I feel about him losing business because of that, and what if it was the other way, and in a deep red place, somebody had a liberal slogan up and lost business because of it.

I don’t really have a point, and I just wasted your time. Sorry.

2 Likes

Those are the best kinds of posts, imo. Keep up the work.

2 Likes

Wsj headline today: Target to Pull Some LGBT-Themed Merchandise After Backlash

Not quite the same scenario but similar

1 Like

For Sale?

Cuz, someone making money off of idiots is legal in Murica.

Or actual decoration?

It had seemed like decoration, but it is true it is possible they were for sale. I am going back on Friday (he had to order the battery), so will try to figure that out and report back. I know you will be waiting with bated breath.

Like the Bud Light backlash?

Backlash makes it sound tame. Store employees were receiving physical threats per Target’s statement.

Here are some more companies that could be targeted:

It’s a bit disturbing how empowered the far right is acting as a result of the bud light thing. I’m not sure where it ends other than absolute fear to cross the path of the cult.

Is that where it started?

No, but it seems like their “first big win against woke corporations.” At least according to the right wingers on Twitter.

1 Like

Just saying that this wokeshit ain’t new.

Fuck, even Burger King got woked in the 90s advertising for “thirtysomething.”

Something 30 years ago does not seem all the relevant to the escalation that has happened in the last couple of months.