Random Political Thoughts

Not sure I care for that fisherman guy’s argument against boat speed limits: “well I’ve never seen any whales, so :woozy_face:

Hubbard:

NOAA scientists have said that they’re not even sure if the animal can recover, that there might be too few of this animal already.

Article:

Data and research collected by the agency hold vessel strikes and equipment entanglement as the primary causes of right whale deaths. NOAA researchers reportedly found that identifiable right whale deaths from 2003 to 2018 were “all” attributable to human activity.

Hubbard:

So if we’re having unexplained mortality events, why are you looking to impose a vessel speed restriction? Why don’t you figure out the unexplained mortality events first?

I also enjoy that at one point he says this shouldn’t apply to small vessels because they won’t hurt anything, then later says that applying it to large vessels would cripple the economy.

I don’t have an opinion here, but it’s obvious the guy has a bias, he just doesn’t want anything to change. Is Fox Business slanted like Fox? I don’t usually read it.

Not sure. I tend to compare headlines across multiple sources though, to get enough of a sense of what the “slants” are so that I can have a basic sense of what the objective event or issue is.

Numerous bias trackers call it “leans right”. So probably good enough to trust, not as a sole source.

Like saturated fat, a little is okay.

Fox Business chose to run that article. That choice is based on its slant. categorized as “Environmental Protection shit that the government does hurts a specific little guy, someone like you, dear viewer. You could be next.”

lol, I don’t think anyone recommends that 12 year olds have sex. I am, however, interested in whether randomization on genes actual proves any kind of causal relationship.

I would expect all sorts of things to be correlated with but not causing suicide, after adjusting for genetics.

cough

1 Like

Suppose they ever discovered that lgbt-ness had a genetic component that could be detected in utero. It would be fun to watch the two parties switch positions on abortion overnight.

1 Like

There are some countries where abortions happen disproportionately based on the sex of the fetus. Democrats are already opposed to that, would have a perfectly consistent opinion re: aborting based on probability of being queer.

One reason that like most other issues, it doesn’t seem healthy to treat abortion as purely black and white like most people do, especially given all the “family values” folks who have been caught wanting one in recent years.

do you know anyone who is a slave. yes and ylthey are still a slave

My understanding is that most Democrats believe the right to abortion supercedes the prohibition of sex selection abortions. So while they may think it is a bad reason, they won’t prohibit it.

Yeah, I’ve never remotely heard of disallowing abortions for reason of sex-selection as a serious policy proposal.

So while many individuals might think that’s a bad reason to choose an abortion, there’s no suggestion to actually curb the practice.

Not really political, but…

We started our teacher meetings today (kids come back next Wednesday). For the first half of the day we met in a big group will the whole “district” (the schools under the charter organization, which is quite a few).

The first hour was the founder of the organization talking, and for the most part is was a completely wasted hour - except for the note that the photography teacher sitting next to me noted down of “Don’t talk about yourself too much. Empower the students and talk about them” - which she got from the example of him talking about himself the whole time.

He used to be a legislator in Utah, and is obviously quite conservative. He didn’t focus on politics at all, although he did use the word “woke” once. Sometime after that he could have used a bit more wokeness in his life when he told a sexist fat-shaming joke (talking about how he graduated at the bottom of his high school class, but at least he did graduate, he said “I was like the prettiest girl at the weight-watchers convention”). Seriously, run your jokes past your wife or something before saying them.

Note: I actually like the organization, although it is fairly conservative, but it’s Arizona, so that kinda comes with the territory

3 Likes

Did anyone laugh at his “joke”? Hopefully there was an awkward silence.

Good to see that Spain’s extreme right Vox party lost both popular vote and seats in yesterday’s election. A Populist Party-Vox alliance would not now yet be able to form a majority.

Not really, but to be fair, it wasn’t a funny joke anyway.

It’s flippin’ hotter than hell right now!! Guess schools are A/C.

If you have to be in an air conditioned room anyway…

Not sure what thread this fits in but not surprised Mitch had a “senior moment” given his age and medical history. Wish politicians would retire before they get into their 80’s.

1 Like