Random Political Thoughts

But the admission fees are higher (for state schools) for out of state/country applicants. Need that sweet, sweet admission fee!!

Well if itā€™s a big enough problem I assume the state will step in one way or another and make sure that qualified in-state students can get in.

My alma mater (a state school) did something weird a bunch of years ago. Affected my much-younger stepsister who also went there so I heard bits & pieces through alumni news, my parents, and her.

I think they got rid of in-state pricing altogether and everyone paid the same tuition. BUTā€¦ in state students all got a scholarship that amounted to getting their tuition down to where it would have been for in-state tuition under the old model. I never did quite figure out what the goal of that was / what problem they were trying to solve with that. Possibly making it easier for the university to budget as they no longer cared whether students were in-state or out-of-state??? Not sure. Nor am I sure of the mechanics of the scholarship. Was it 100% funded by the state??? No clue.

Theyā€™ve gone back to the old in-state / out-of-state convention now though, so whatever problem they were trying to fix, they appear to have been unsuccessful. They were touting it as very innovative at the time, but I never figured out how it amounted to anything more than smoke & mirrors. I admittedly didnā€™t put a ton of effort into understanding it, but I did ask a few questions before giving up.

Um, where did that ā€œscholarshipā€ money come from? Iā€™m guessing not from the collegeā€™s budget.
So some other entity would have an interest in letting more out-of-state students in and leaving more in-state students out. Transferring interest down the road or around the corner to the Foundation or the gas tax or whatever.

1 Like

If we are talking about Asian kids losing admissions spots due to AA favoring black kids, Iā€™ll mention that they also lose admissions spots due to legacy admissions.

Ah. Maybe you could do some research, as you have a head start on the state/uni to which you are referring.

If AA was more regionally based and less raced base it might work better.

There are kids in some poorer schools that donā€™t stand a chance, regardless of race. If colleges gave extra consideration to a school like that, even if the end effect is more minorities, it could be better received.

I donā€™t think those are going away. School doesnā€™t want to risk alienating alumni / donors.

Since the program no longer exists, I think accurate info will be hard to come by, although Iā€™ve been pretty open about the fact that I attended Miami University.

Yeah, I suspect there would be less objection to it being based on family income / wealth rather than race.

Something along the lines of the FAFSA calculation. FAFSA isnā€™t perfect by any means, but itā€™s a starting point. It at least has the advantage of considering both income AND assets, unlike many other calculations such as credit score.

A few years ago, I watched a number of lectures by Michael Sandel for the Harvard course ā€œJusticeā€. (I believe I read somewhere that this is the second most popular course on campus.) Justice: What's The Right Thing To Do? Episode 01 "THE MORAL SIDE OF MURDER" - YouTube

It was very cool. Elegant room, classical thinker, engaged students. I felt lucky I could see it online and jealous that I didnā€™t have that experience when I was 19. College at Harvard would have been way better.

Sandel gets students involved. And, since this is Harvard, he has no problem getting volunteers to speak up in this big room full of people.

Eventually, they get to examples that involve race. Students have opinions that they are willing to express. There are a few black kids and they express opinions.

I had to wonder how many of the white kids came from all white, upper income high schools. Were some of them ready to make comments that would have been fine with their HS friends, but suddenly seemed poorly researched or badly worded or maybe even not true when they realized there were smart black people listening?

IMO, it there is an argument for AA, thatā€™s part of it. Harvardā€™s mission statement is about preparing the citizen-leaders of the future, not helping people get crazy rich on Wall Street.

If youā€™re going to be a leader in the US, whether itā€™s in a for-profit firm, or a not-for-profit organization, or a government, I think you need to listen to yourself and imagine what black people hear in your words. Having black kids in the room in college might be part of that education.

to a degree, but I was thinking school quality based on socio-economics. If you are a poorer person in a great district, I donā€™t see a need for easier admissions. So not really FAFSA, but a similar consideration by school district.

Availability of technology, AP coursesā€¦

Ah, ok.

I might suggest breaking it down by high school rather than district though.

For example, the best public high school in the state of Ohio, by pretty much any metric, is consistently Walnut Hills High School, which is part of Cincinnati Public Schools. Itā€™s a grade 7-12 school. Every 6th grader in the district takes a test to get in and the top X get in where X is the number of spaces they have available. Being the only public high school that you have to test into makes it an unfair competition with every other high school in the state, which is why they are always at the top of every list. In many ways itā€™s more similar to a private school than a public school. But itā€™s taxpayer funded and it is in fact a public school.

But overall the remaining high schools in Cincinnati Public Schools leave a lot to be desired, not least because Walnut Hills and another school that focuses on arts skim a lot off the top. I wouldnā€™t want to lump someone from Walnut Hills in the same category as someone from, say Aiken High School (considered the worst in CPS according to one ranking I found.)

The kid who placed X+1 on the placement test in 6th grade (and didnā€™t get into Walnut) is going to have a much steeper climb than the kid who placed X (and did get in), despite being a similar ability level.

Sounds a lot like Stuyvesant in NYC, NYS.

Or Galileo in SF, CA.

Might also be the smartest kid in whatever school they do go to, so that will also look good on applications.
Also, I think one of the Freakonomics books noted that students who try to get into these exclusive schools tend to do better than those that donā€™t. Meaning, they want it (whatever ā€œitā€ is) more, and, that schools donā€™t really add that much to the human brain.

Sure, being the valedictorian of a crappy high school counts for something.

It still doesnā€™t make sense to me why so many ā€œultra MAGAā€ types are not only against supporting Ukraine, but seem to be pro-Russia/pro-Putin. I would think that the right to self-determination would be important to uphold for that crowd.

Turkeyā€™s Erdogan seals deal on Finland joining Nato

2 Likes

Russia is anti LGBT. Russia has the support of its state supported church. Russia is headed by an authoritarian strong man. These are all characteristics of the type of state ultra MAGA types would like the United States become.

2 Likes

add in a Jewish president