Random Political Thoughts

Probably the most preposterous and easily falsifiable claim to date. Also why would one claim to be a producer of what has been referred to as a theatrical disaster.

It’s embarrassing to be from the same country as him.

1 Like

I think he meant Splash: The Musical

IFYP

3 Likes

I approve of your fix.

1 Like

I’m as happy that a racist got punched as that someone with a mullet got punched. (Although there is a correlation between the two, especially in the county I live in now.)

mullet kid had it coming. was begging for it (although his request was very specific; he made it general w the slur). galpal jumping in…good times.

She seems nice

I do like the “photobomb” of hoodie guy:

1 Like

I didn’t even know that there was an “architect of the capitol”.

text

https://pdf.fivefilters.org/makepdf.php?v=2.6&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wsj.com%2Farticles%2Fbiden-fires-architect-of-the-capitol-after-allegations-of-wrongdoing-2e10b725%3Fmod%3Dhp_lead_pos12&api_key=&mode=multi-story&output=pdf&template=A4&images=1&date=1&sub=&title=Your+Personal+Newspaper&order=desc&date_start=&submit=Create

I guess in Washington, you can’t be called “head maintenance guy”.

When the story broke a few days ago, it had something to do with his daughter using his government issued car which is a huge no-no. Only the government employee can use the car. Also, he decided to work form home on J6. Some speculation he might have been involved in the security issues that day as well.

1 Like

This is a really interesting editorial, just wanted to share.

1 Like

I remember and love the quote from the Simpsons:

“This brazen negativity was often pilloried. In one memorable Simpsons episode, Homer meets the grunge band (or at least [grunge adjacent] Smashing Pumpkins.) Homer declares: “You know my kids think you’re the greatest, and thanks to your gloomy music they’ve finally stopped dreaming of a future I can’t possibly provide.” Lead singer Billy Corgan responds: “Well, we try to make a difference.”

I didn’t see my all time favourite artist, Neil Young, mentioned in the article. Young pivoted easily to grunge when it became popular: “Rocking in the Free World” was a classic and appropriately Young first performed it in Seattle.

2 Likes

What’s really funny is I was talking to a friend the other day and felt like the ridiculous nature of American society right now that we might be ripe for another punk revolution in rock and roll. We’ve kind of had a decade of pop supremacy so some type of rock revival could be on the horizon.

Interesting polling. Pretty damning that more than half (52%) of minority folks in the US are against race based decisions for college admissions.

1 Like

Am responding to the previous post but not sure this article belongs here (have put it in the affirmative action thread as well) but I found it enlightening. As a Canadian, I was not familiar with the legal history so found it interesting.

It would be interesting to see that 52% broken down by race.

My guess is that Asians (the group most negatively impacted by race-based admissions, moreso than whites) are probably something north of 90% opposed while other racial minorities might be mildly in favor. I think Asians are about 15% of minorities, so if you strip out the Asian votes, the minorities that actually benefit from AA still seem to be in favor by my reckoning.

Note that’s not an argument for or against… just an observation.

2 Likes

Agree, but I think often in the US when we talk about helping minorities it’s really one minority and the rest can fend for themselves. Which the polling is showing.

The one we fucked over for 450 years by letting them have the same rights as the rest of us? I consider it part of the restitution package.

It’s not unreasonable to implement something AA-like as restitution for slavery. And maybe the indigenous population of the mainland US are deserving of some restitution as well. But it’s not clear why that would extend to Hispanics or Asians or blacks who are not descended from slaves, or Pacific Islanders or Inuits & indigenous populations native to places other than the 48 contiguous states or other groups impacted by AA.

I have mixed feelings on AA, by the way. I see the arguments on both sides. I’m leaning towards it currently doing more harm than good.

I’m not sure that we’ve been so good to Asians that we need to make it harder for them to get into college. If there aren’t enough spots for US citizens due to Chinese nationals coming in, I’d be fine with some limits based on citizenship rather than race. I don’t think a U.S. citizen of Chinese or Indian descent is less deserving of a spot in medical school than a white U.S. citizen.