Queen Elizabeth II (the non-RIP thread version)

FDR is the closest we can claim

FDR is a good US example as he also died while still in office. However the biggest ceremony and outpouring of emotion was probably on JFK’s death because of the circumstances. That shock was felt around the world.

Former Canadian Prime Ministers get little recognition on their death and that makes sense to me. Although they are not heads of state they are more analogous to US Presidents in their tenure.

Kennedy, for circumstances, and in the television age.

Who knew how people felt when Lincoln was shot. or how long it took the news to spread

Telegraph lines had been built by then.

News of the president’s death traveled quickly, and by the end of the day flags across the country flew at half-mast, businesses were closed and people who had recently rejoiced at the end of the Civil War now reeled from Lincoln’s shocking assassination.

1 Like

I’m getting so many bullshit articles pushed to my phone about Harry & Meghan drama at the funeral and how the family is all feuding. likely all false or even if not false, this shit is nobody’s business.

this royal family is celebrity to the extreme and so much nastiness and obsession involving harry & meghan by the press. it’s ridiculous.

To play devils advocate a little bit, royalty predates the idea of a private person, and doesn’t really seem to allow for it.

A normal celebrity is a private person participating in a public and economic sphere. We can argue how much of their privacy they implicitly gave up to make money, but they do start as a private person.

A king or queen is not royalty in “public” with a separate private life. For the same reason they do not have to justify themselves economically, or why they inherit their position, they also do not really have a private existence. Remember that traditionally, the consummation of the king’s marriage often had to be witnessed, for example.

To give them existence as private individuals probably also undermines their status as royalty.

Harry didnt ask to be born and he moved away from britain to get away from that life. The press is still obsessed with him. Also people are too obsessed with him in a negative way. It really reflects negatively on humanity

Did he really want to get away from that life though? It seems like he is still trying to make money off his celebrity status as a member of the royal family.

Maybe I should have more a sympathy.

Probably hard to make a clean break and become a recluse. As not someone born into that i can’t relate at all. It still seems ridiculous how obsessed with hating him and meghan people are.

I have less sympathy for meghan though who chose this by marrying him while Harry didnt ask to be born

I think being the son of the king makes it a little bit difficult to have a normal life.

Would you want to hire him on as an actuary at your company (assuming he’d passed a few exams) knowing that TV cameras will be everywhere and security and he’ll be a massive distraction to everyone?

He reportedly enjoyed serving in the military… probably the most normal his life ever was or will be.

1 Like

I’m someone who only sees the headlines on this. I don’t even read the articles.

The headline I see is that they are interviewing with oprah in prime time. There is a whole world of possibilities between that and working as an actuary, or similar upper middle class job.

(By the way, I find it plausible there is racism in that family, and that she was treated badly. But there are a lot of ways to bring attention to that, if they felt the moral responsibility to do so.)

Plenty of insta influencers have regular jobs with much more followers than Harry. The world is big enough for all kinds of people.
Lots of people don’t recognize a lot of super famous people.

Yeah, I think that maybe Harry could achieve a more normal life in the US than he could in Great Britain, maybe. In Great Britain, no way, there is nobody bigger than the royal family there.

But I’m not sure I can judge him for doing interviews with Oprah or whatever he did to make the Brits hate him. That was defending himself. What else has he done to say he really wants to be a public figure in the US that makes him money?

1 Like

if he really wanted to get away from it all, just buy some land in some isolated place and live out a simple existence and be forgotten

but methinks he has an agenda

Do normal people need to move to an isolated location to live a normal life?

That’s not even a normal life.

What do you think his agenda is?

normal people do that all the time

what does he say his agenda is?

What if he does want to actually live in society but not he harassed by the press?

You are the one who uses the word agenda