Queen Elizabeth II (the non-RIP thread version)

I was walking home from work and hit a spot on the sidewalk where a horde of homeless people congregated for free food.

…i crossed the street to get away.

Joe Biden feels the same way: showed up late for the funeral and sat near the back as a result.

I am not a supporter of the monarchy but travelled to Hyde Park today with my granddaughter to watch the funeral ceremony and procession on their giant screens so as to participate in a historical event. Hundreds of thousands of people were there (almost as many as attended Trump’s inauguration…) Despite my non-monarchist leanings I was moved when hundreds of thousands of people started a polite clapping as ER was carried out of Westminster.

Typical Catholic!

1 Like

Compounded by his Irish ancestry.

These QE2 threads are forcing me to do a bunch of searches.

I assume he means Elizabeth Regina, as in Elizabeth the Queen Regnant (ie the monarch).

(As opposed to Queen Camilla who is not Queen Regnant at all but rather Queen Consort… ie not the monarch, but the wife of the monarch.)

Yes. ER is Elizabeth Regina. That is how I would usually reference her. QE2 in my mind is an ocean liner.

I was being a bit deceptive with Biden being seated near the back. That had nothing to do with his late arrival but rather was a matter of protocol. Commonwealth country leaders, no matter how small the country, would be seated closer to the front as they are considered “family”. The US President would be seated near the back as not “family”.

Totally agree. I don’t see why you or any other American should get excited about ER’s death any more than I should care about a former or current POTUS dying.

I didnt really care about the potus who died in my lifetime either

Which one has my TPS reports?

1 Like

I would think 4 have.

It is the countries history, it makes me care

1 Like

For reference, post WWII:

Kennedy: 1963
Hoover: 1964
Eisenhower: 1969
Truman: 1972
Johnson: 1973
Nixon: 1994
Reagan: 2004
Ford: 2006
Bush Sr: 2018

Man, we went 21 years with no POTUS dying.

my prediction: Trump and Biden die within one year of each other.

MARK MY WORDS

I remember when Nixon died there was a really cool photo of the five living presidents at his funeral which I cut out of the newspaper and kept for a few years.

1 Like

Hopefully Trump doesn’t die before he is convicted of something

2 Likes

maybe they pull Jefferson/Adams

Trump, Bush II, and Clinton are all extremely close in age. They could easily all three die very close together although Trump is probably in the worst health of the three by a significant margin though.

except for Obama and Carter, all are within five years

I guess the difference for me was that ER was our Head of State for 70 years so she was a constant presence throughout my life. The same POTUS for 4 or 8 years is a blink in comparison.