Queen Elizabeth II (the non-RIP thread version)

I didn’t imply that, you didn’t read the post I made after that, both sides were very bad. Especially Canada within the context of the allies.

She represented the British Empire, one of the most brutal regimes in the history of mankind.

If the Axis had won, they would have been praised in the late 20th century as the faction that destroyed communism, with most of their atrocities being swept under the rug because "communism bad’ much like the way we do “Hitler bad” today. Instead of a bunch of museums remembering the atrocities of the Holocaust, we’d have museums remembering the atrocities of Holodomor.

It’s just a 2-headed coin.

And you’re wrong equating the two sides.

The Nazis were worse.

Japan’s actions in China were worse.

2 Likes

And probably hundreds of millions more would’ve been murdered through enthnic cleansing because it was an explicit part of nazi ideology.

You’re wrong.

The nazis are worse.

I’m not shocked you don’t understand this though, and I’m not wasting any more time with you.

1 Like

Also to be clear, I don’t love the British monarchy, and agree Britain did a lot of shitty things throughout history, my objection is to both siding WW2.

Posting from another thread as fitting here.

1 Like

I’m not sure I agree with the quote in the first place. We all benefit from our ancestry to varying degrees.

But I also think it’s worth noting that he was an Irish Republican… a group with whom Elizabeth II made peace during her reign.

Fair, I didn’t know the context, but like the sentiment. If you’re going to claim enormous wealth power and privilege exclusively due to hereditary privilege, you have some onus to own up to the past.

If you renounce some of that (like the dude who abdicated), then you can say the past isn’t your problem.

1 Like

Will we be at half staff when President Xi JinPing dies?

He was renouncing none of his privilege… only his duty to not violate the teachings of the Church of England, of which he was the head.

He kept getting his Civil List allowance until his death.

And he made it abundantly clear that the ONLY reason he was abdicating was so that he could marry a person that the church said he couldn’t marry.

I might need to study more history. what did england do during WWII that Queen Elizabeth would hold any responsibility? Didn’t think the royal family had much power anymore.

as for the history of the royal family, I don’t hold the current members responsibility for that regardless of whether they keep their royal privilege.

I just don’t get being in tears over what amounts to a celebrity dying. actually, not just a celebrity, but one who didn’t even earn it. she was born into it. she also died from natural causes at a really old age.

Princess Elizabeth was a mechanic in the British … I think Army during WWII. She didn’t have to do so, but she chose to.

1 Like

how is that bad? my grandfather fought during WWII in the battle of the bulge. he posed in front of a taken down tank of the nazis in front of dead nazi bodies. it was badass. GO GRAMPIE FAN!

What i’m saying is, that seems pretty darn commendable of elizabeth in not having to but doing it anyway.

what did england do during WWII to make them bad? nazis bad.

I’m not sure. I don’t think it’s reasonable to hold Elizabeth accountable for all of the things her ancestors did. Especially things she reversed course on, such as England’s treatment of Ireland.

2 Likes

Russia’s side is always the bad side. Even when they are on the good team.

I mean I didn’t have any warm feelings toward her. Just trying to add excitement to your thread. Oh, she also sired Randy Andy. Thanks Liz!

Churchill diverted grain from Bangladesh that caused some 3 million or so deaths and it wasn’t an accident. Does that justify the war effort? It’s hard to simply say yes to these kinds of things so I’ve concluded that most major leaders of the war were horrible people regardless of what side they were on.

Yes, it’s sad that William’s grandmother is dead but I don’t think we need to attach any nostalgia to her death.

2 Likes

my grandmother died in 1989. i was sad.

i don’t really give a shit about william’s grandmother.

1 Like

The queen’s passing nor her living truly affected me. The Royals are a mere curiosity, similar to our sports heroes or Hollywood celebrities or music icons. Usually if I feel something, it’s something like, “Sheesh, I am getting older. People whose names I know are dying.”

I think I said in a post “may she rest in peace” and I said that out loud to a family member, it feels like a way to be respectful. I think I would say the same about most public figures.

Closer to home a family member of a business associate also passed away recently. I had the opportunity to post about them on a public forum (a sort of memorial page). I looked at tge page but did not post bc I only met the person once and I don’t know the family well. I watched a video about the person’s life and was inspired. I thought, “May they rest in peace.” I felt it would be inappropriate to say or do anything more.