Possibility or Paranoia

Bloodless coups have happened in the past, obviously outside the USA. That said, I would think that the Supreme Court would need to see overwhelming evidence of widespread voter fraud to back Trump on this. After all, it’s looking like they won’t back him on removing ACA, so why support a power grab?

And then there’s the possibility that any Supreme Court justice(s) who votes to back Trump could end up being impeached themselves.

They could be impeached, but wouldn’t it require a supermajority in the Senate to remove them?

1 Like

Very true, but as much as the justices like to appear above the fray, I doubt any would want to risk that reputational risk.

Can you imagine if the meltdown Trump would have if the case went to the Supreme Court and Cavanaugh, Gorsuch and Barrett all went against him?

Yes, it would take 67 Senators to remove them, and the Senate Majority Leader would have to hold a trial. The standard is that they may remain on the court “during good behaviour” so I’m guessing (but don’t know for certain) that they shouldn’t be impeached for stuff they did prior to being confirmed.

They have to really screw up really badly to be removed. Their own party has to agree that they screwed up really badly. It has to be bipartisan.

Democrats should stop fantasizing about impeaching justices. It’s not going to happen unless one of them shoots a television journalist live on the air or something at a similar level of egregiousness.

idk, that might not do it. i’m convinced that trump could shoot someone in cold blood on fifth avenue and nobody in the party would care, so why not supreme court justices too?

Perhaps, but anything less than that is certainly not going to do it. The Republicans did turn on Nixon for far less. I do think it would take much more than a Watergate-level scandal in this day & age, but actual murder where there was no doubt that the justice did it may well clear the bar.

I don’t think any of the current 9 justices are likely to commit murder on live television though, so we’ll probably never find out.

My main point was that the Democrats should stop fantasizing about removing justices through the impeachment process.

Regarding visiting the White House. I do not want Biden anywhere near that Trumpian covid central until that place is thoroughly cleaned and aired out. Those Trumpians are a bunch of freaking doorknob lickers. Keep the Bidens away they can figure out the drapes and loveseat color swatches later.

4 Likes

excellent point

Fair point; I hadn’t even thought of this.

That said, actual Covid germs are probably all gone by now. But yeah, certainly better safe than sorry.

1 Like

white house staff are getting diagnosed with COVID daily now, so why do you think this? I think that 2 got diagnosed today.

1 Like

I can see Trump being very amused at the thought of giving Biden COVID. If we find out tomorrow that he’s been intentionally leaving a bunch of infected shit strewn about the whole place, I wouldn’t even be shocked.

1 Like

Oh geez. They are probably continuing to not be careful / not wear masks. Yeah, disinfect and air out the whole place. Biden can move in a few days late. Ugh.

You can get rid of the virus, but the faint smell of bronzer will remain for years.

2 Likes

they had a goddamn party on election night. that’s why there are more cases now. these people are a disaster. they are worse than just not being careful. they had a large party.

Since this entire thread is for tin foil hat theories…

Of course you don’t want Biden to get COVID right now. The man has to last 2 years and a day before being replaced with Kamala. That way she can serve 2 full terms after PR and DC are added as states, the electoral college is done away with, SCOTUS is expanded to 13 judges, and illegal (pardon me, undocumented) immigrants are allowed to vote.

I have a feeling you are trying to be sarcastic, but that all sounds pretty good.

1 Like

This isn’t a Third World Country. Trump will throw a fit and leave disgracefully, but none of this dystopian nonsense will happen.

1 Like

Well, according to about 1/2 of Americans, Trump will leave triumphantly standing up to a corrupt and unfair election process.

I don’t think that all the people who voted for him believe that he lost unfairly. I think that’s a small minority.

They believe everything else he says, why would they choose to be reasonable about this? You saw the bbq beer freedom guy, right?