Political Humor Thread

7 Likes

We used to head to the US multiple times a year, shopping and vacation. No idea when we will go again. Too much random craziness. Probability of getting shot has gone from zero to close to zero but not…zero.

2 Likes

Simply avoid schools, malls, parks, sporting events, parking lots, restaurants, governmental buildings, and businesses, and America is generally safe from mass shootings except for the occasional unlucky ones.

1 Like

Stick to the suburbs/smaller cities and you’ll be fine. America is going through another 1970’s period of hollowing out the big city centers with crime. This will continue until everyone remembers that cops are much better people than criminals and act accordingly.

1 Like

Is that a joke? Small cities are where the people with the guns are.

4 Likes

Errrrr. Perhaps there’s data to back that up but definitely feels like big cities just have more people and thus a higher number of shootings. In my state, the more rural you get the more guns and the more “No Step on Snek” and the more people carrying and the more racism. Also, meth and alcoholism.

I can’t tell what you intended with the “cops are better than criminals” sentence so reserve comment unless that’s explained. Could have been anywhere from sincere to sarcastic to racist and I really wouldn’t know.

1 Like

Yes, if you look at raw numbers, you get a heat map that looks like a population map.

Per capita, cities are safer: Map of gun deaths shows lower rates in cities than rural counties

Here’s the per capita heat map from that article:

3 Likes

4 Likes

Stay out of the South and the Rocky Mountain range.

And western Alaska, pretty spicy over there.

Jimmy got mistaken for a Moose and got shot.

Got one of these that excludes suicides?

Those account for over 50% of gun deaths and I’m pretty sure SpaceLobster isn’t sweating that possibility.

:squintyeyes:

1 Like

2 Likes

Thank you for making my point. Even if it isn’t with a county heat map.

(BTW: The last gun deaths heat map excluding suicides I saw was several years ago. Basically large cities were significantly higher and a swath along the Mexican border was just nuts.)

2 Likes

You should also know that the rate of homicides has generally been declining in urban areas relative rural areas, so don’t be surprised if that looks different in a few years.

I doubt you were thinking that urban areas were only ~33% higher for homicides when you posted your earlier comments.

So you’re about 35% more likely to get killed in an urban area but about 74% more likely to blow your brains out if you have to live in the Po.

2 Likes

You can also avoid where most of those homicides are occurring in urban areas.

The rural areas seem less predictable.

I wonder how that correlates with poverty. Maybe that’s been looked at.

2 Likes

The sadder thing for me is that the US seems to have accepted mass shootings as a part of everyday life as nothing substantive is being done to reduce them. That bothers me more than the small probability I would be shot on a visit to the US. I don’t want to visit a country with that attitude. I expect most posters here would like to see meaningful gun reform but that is not the prevailing US political view.