Personal Disappointments thread

I didn’t even know Paul Anka did that song…

Ngl, I was a little disappointed to learn that, myself.

RN

1 Like

the older i get, the less i have. You realize it’s all the same and just thankful for having the important things

1 Like

Fortunately I was talking cumulatively, and not an increasing rate of accrual.

I will never dunk a basketball from the floor on a 10’ rim again.

I will never complete a 5.13 rock climbing route again.

I will never set for an Open-level volleyball team again.

I will never bench 315 again. (or, rather, highly doubtful)
(Though I am keeping the 500# deadlift goal alive for a few years.

I probably wont ski a double diamond again.

Should I be personally disappointed that I can say all the same things, but without the word “again”?

2 Likes

when you realize you don’t have to impress anyone to be happy, you start to see the light

1 Like

I will never run a 5 min mile again. a handful of years ago that was a goal. spent the winter on the treadmill and was very happy with some of the workouts. last one included .75 miles at 12mph and I had more to give. Week later transitioned to outdoors. a week after that started coaching sports again and all free time and workout time evaporated.

2 Likes

Change 12mph to 12 min/mi and “more to give” to “nothing left” and basically same.

2 Likes

it’s like looking in a mirror

1 Like

I can only think of two real disappointments. I think that in some cases I might be disappointed for a bit but as life works its way around, things turn out like they should and those disappointments just become the path I took. However, I was very disappointed when my title was changed after I stopped taking the actuarial exams. It didn’t help that some of the actuaries started treating me differently. I was also disappointed when I “failed” the personality test for the FBI. At the time I really wanted to be a field agent. Both things probably worked out for the better as I think I’ve built a pretty nice life at this point and I am unlikely to get shot during the course of my work.

2 Likes

Nothing. Everything.

1 Like

I never did dunk on a 10’ rim. I could touch the rim, could occasionally get a finger on the top of the rim, once upon a time I got the middle of my hand on the rim, but even with a 39" vertical jump there’s something about being 5’10" limits the actual chances of a dunk.

And I have the same thoughts about running a 5-minute mile, that yeah, if I can get through hip surgeries and rehabbed and built back up, I can do it but realistically I know it’s not happening. No idea what I should be shooting for - I think at first, it’s just “run a 5K without stopping once” - but I’ve got probably a year before I can worry about that.

Neither one is really a disappointment, more of a “that would have been great, but I’ll be fine without it” kind of thing.

Um…

2 Likes

It’s difficult to dunk from that height.

RN

2 Likes

I think you got the wrong unit symbol . . .

I’m disappointed, personally.