Offical Video Game Thread

PS 5 still out of stock :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Still tons of content i havenā€™t played on the switch. :grin:

I paid an extra 300 (ebay) for my spouse to have it already. Theyā€™ve repeatedly mentioned how much faster it is in terms of loading. They were slightly dismayed at my having paid the extra because ā€œI could have waited, you didnā€™t have to do thatā€, but we missed two vacations last year, and will be missing another one in a couple months, so waiting for this seemed like unnecessarily adding yet another thing to the list of ā€œsomedayā€.

The miser in me is pained to hear that.

But I can see it being worth it having it over the holidays.

I caught a post delete!

1 Like

Been playing ā€œAmazing Cultivation Simulatorā€, a Chinese knockoff of Rim World. It really is amazing, though I donā€™t know if Iā€™d recommend it. I guess I would say, try it if you already love Rim World, which I do, and you like weird experimental games, which I also do.

Rim World was, itself a knockoff of the cult-classic Dwarf Fortress. Dwarf Fortress was great for having everything encapsulated into one game: survival, logistics, city building, diplomacy, automation, crafting, tactical warfare, animals, traps, monsters, weather, machinery and individuals with skills, emotions, desires, and relationships. It was a beautiful anthill, that sprawled across 5 genres and made its own storiesā€¦ Onlyā€¦ the interface was so terrible and unintuitive, that nobody wanted to play it.

Rim World took all of that -junk- and placed it into an perfectly intuitive interface, added a couple bits here and there, balanced things, and made the meaningless systems more meaningfulā€¦ and suddenly it was the best game ever.

Then ā€¦ thisā€¦ this ā€œCultivation Simulatorā€ came along, and said, ā€œhold my beerā€, and layered on top of all thatā€¦ Feng Shui architecture and Qi mysticism. Morality, levels of Enlightenment, and skills to craft talismans, artifacts, potions. 6 initial skill trees for my enlightened people (along with more individual skills and more skill-trees that I need to uncover). Tons of stats and more systems. Thereā€™s places to go in the world, with complicated quests, sub plots, in depth diplomacy, and a main plot. I even have a magic dog that flies around my town, which I need to train (by encouraging him to work on his meditation and discourage from pooping on peopleā€™s beds) and set his diet so it has the right amount of fat. And all of this is ON TOP of the already existing complicated Rim World systems that includes things like people having so many thoughts and feelings and needs.

The problem, of course, is that itā€™s so big and so sprawling, that the all the help menus and tutorials and tool tips and game-balance canā€™t really keep up with the insanity of the game. In other words, itā€™s almost like playing Dwarf Fortress again. Iā€™m never 100% sure what things I need to build (and of what material) in order to optimize Feng Shui. Or whether a skills are worth investing in (ā€œdo I need more max Qi or higher Charisma or more ā€œstamina efficiencyā€ in order to make it to the next level? Also this says it steals someoneā€™s soul?ā€). Or what some rare weird items I found even do. Weirdly, the game crowd-sources itā€™s help-menu with an in-game online-comment system where people can leave some notes on how to tame a cat or maximize the qi in a room (or leave lots of snarky and inappropriate jokes).

1 Like

I donā€™t why the new Mario 3D is entirely cat themed, but I suspect it had something to do with me and the wanting of all the money I have.

I usually love Mario games, but Iā€™m not into this one.

We got 9 to do 4-player with us for approximately 1 world before she perma-bubbled herself - quality family time imo.

Can you play with her online? Iā€™ve been playing video games with friends online, itā€™s some of my best social time these days.

These two are a bit flaky when it comes to checking messages and/or making appointments when they are at home. We do have Switchā€™s at both locations, and I think Dad & 12 successfully did Smash a couple of times online, but their account is currently lapsed.

I hear you though - I tried some online Words with Friends 2 (Scrabble) for a while with them, and theyā€™re both (including mum) in my Hay Day community. So, so flaky though.

How long should I wait before introducing my daughter to Marioā€¦
Sheā€™s 2. Iā€™m eager. Wife says no. Sheā€™s right. But I wanna be right.

you are an interesting character. I canā€™t really picture adult women suddenly getting into gaming with the amount of passion that you have. Heck, I was a gamer growing up and I barely play any games now, and Iā€™m a guy.

Whatā€™s your wifeā€™s resistance to it?

Our kids were introduced to Mario games around 3. They werenā€™t really able to play until 4.5 or 5. But they loved watching us play before then.

Probably how angry I get at online multiplayer things currently and she doesnā€™t want to turn our kid into a monsterā€¦but only probably.

I feel this is less likely with some classic single-player mario though. Really canā€™t wait for Zelda but thatā€™s certainly too advanced.

Checking into this thread.

My 9, 6, 6 year olds play Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros, Dr. Mario, Zelda (barely), Minecraft, Rocket League, Fortnite. Itā€™s fun with them finally being able to play some of these games semi-competently.

I still primarily play Rocket League and Fortnite. and now online Settlers of Catan, chess and bridge.

A lot of my friends are men aged 20-40. Does that help explain it?

But tonight I look forward to ā€œgatheringā€ with people via Oculus, and that group is mixed-sex and many are ~ my age.

(Yes, I just bought an Oculus. Fun toy. Tell me if you recommend any games in it.)

I have an oculus quest
Obviously Beat Saber is a must.

I Expect You to Die is a good puzzle game.

Red Matter is a good game too.

Most of the games are puzzle games. Theyā€™re not too long, since I imagine the games are hard to make.

1 Like

I want one of these, but I have ā€˜must completeā€™ issues and Iā€™m not done with BOTWā€¦ so many koroks still to find.

Itā€™s good that BOTW is beautiful, I like exploring all the nooks and crannies.