Offical Video Game Thread

Something something tarnished. Something something elden ring. Something something slay gods. Byyeee!

My daughter brought up the idea of building a gaming computer last night. I remember this being discussed, but didnā€™t find it in a search (was it back in AO?). So my questions are 1) Is there a thread on it here? 2) Whatā€™s the best website for current best builds? 3) And, as much as Iā€™d enjoy building one with her, can she do about as well buying off the shelf instead? I donā€™t know her budget or her target games yet. Iā€™ve already advised her to not do what she was planning to do - just start buying parts one by one as she can afford them.

Iā€™ve been playing Farthest Frontier for the last few days. Itā€™s got a lot of promise for something thatā€™s early access, looking forward to further updatesā€¦

I did this once and regretted it. Basically just unnecessary hassle.

I know there are websites that have both prices and compatible parts. No idea what they are.

Going to the store and just buying what you want will be expensive. But if you scout out a ā€œgood dealā€, it will be about the same as making your own.

There is a nice intimacy to knowing the inside of your machine.

ehemā€¦

Iā€™ll try it. I love colony building, in theory. In practice they have just awful pacing. Itā€™s always too hard or too easy. Not to mention all those colony games are basically the same exact thing, give or take a gimmick.

Lol. I came home from work the other day to find a big box by the door. Sheā€™d apparently already bought part #1 - a nice, but pretty expensive case. So I guess 1) weā€™re gonna build it 2) sheā€™s gonna go fairly high end based on the case 3) sheā€™s gonna ignore my suggestion and trickle in the parts.

She also already bought a side table to put the computer on, which was a pretty good idea.

1 Like

pcpartspicker.com is a decent one for tracking items and choosing parts. Iā€™m sure there are some example of builds on there somewhere.

I think most of the savings youā€™d get from building is being able to find rebates and sales on items. Itā€™s a pretty big hassle for not a lot benefit.

Iā€™ve built in the past. Back in HS/College/shortly out of college it was a fun thing to do if I had the time. Kind of like expensive Legos. Iā€™ve just bought my past couple computers. Just enough time to deal with that sort of thing.

I think doing it once for someone younger if theyā€™re interested is a good experience though.

Building a PC is fun. I built my first the summer after 8th grade and used my middle school graduation gift money to do it. I think I bought all my parts on the TigerDirect website. I worked like a champ too! Thankfully I had a friend who had already built his own making sure I didnt go astray. I built one more when I was a junior in college.

Now Im lame and just buy a new laptop if i need one. I still have the one I built in college set up in my wifes home office, we pretty much never use it except to play Sims lol

Buying parts one by one is a great way to learn

As a true actuary I have watched many YouTube videos about building PCā€™s, but have never done it myself. It looks like lots of fun.

A good guide for speedrunners of this game. Thanks!

theyā€™re all mobile trash nowdays

My husband and I started playing It Takes Two on the switch. Iā€™m not very good at games. This one kind of reminds me of Unravel Two, but with bosses. Iā€™m not sure how I feel about it. The storyline is kind of cringe.

1 Like

it can get hard (require meticulous coordination)

Iā€™ve been playing Genshin Impact on my phone for about a month now.

Sad to say, my work productivity has taken a hit.

I have been playing some Zelda game on my Switch for the last few days. I donā€™t really enjoy it per se, but it has sucked me in.

Oh no! Sign of bad addiction

fired up my old Wii the other day. None of the games worked.

Tried cleaning the lens with some DIY-cleaners, got Wii Sports to work, but nothing else does.

Should I consider the console done for? Or the games? Or both? Iā€™d really like to replay Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Galaxy and SMG II, maybe a few other games. (I think Iā€™m a bit slow on the reaction time for all the newfangled games that would be part of a Switch meta, so itā€™s the old Wii for me.) So do I Ebay and get a new console or the disk?

Iā€™m still playing Minecraft. I finally built a blaze farm (Iā€™m not coordinated enough to do this for real, so i cheated. When i finally found the blaze spawner, and saw that it was perched above a huge lake of lava, i put the game in peaceful. Just building the structure over the lava was challenging enough for me, without blazes and wither skeletons taking pot shots at me.)

Now Iā€™m poking around the nether looking for netherite. Next up is opening up an end portal so i can get some wings. My son has offered to kill the end dragon for me. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s beyond my abilities, too.

Once i get wings, i want to build a botanical garden. A little area representing each major biome, with all the appropriate ground materials and plants. Iā€™ll bring in most of the animals, too, each in an appropriate biome. At least, thatā€™s my goal.

1 Like