Offical Video Game Thread

I think Epic has whole tomb raider trilogy for free, and prime gaming has jedi fallen order for free.

1 Like

A new Pokemon game was released last week that you may like, Pokemon Legends Arceus.

Itā€™s open world, but mechanics are different than Sword and Shield. You can sneak around and throw pokeballs at them (like you would in the mobile game), or initiate battle with them. Some Pokemon if they spot you will run away, and others will try to attack - but they can actually hurt the trainer unless you throw a Pokemon at them to initiate battle.

The objective is different too! Instead of grinding to battle trainers, gym leaders, etc. in this one you have to complete the regionā€™s first Pokedex and fulfill missions and requests. It has a pretty good RPG feel. I hope they make more games like this instead of remakes of previous generations. Itā€™s more challenging!

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen mixed reviews, but maybe itā€™s the game I want. I think Iā€™ll try it out.

My brother got me Baldurā€™s Gate 3 for Christmas. The online multiplayer is still very rough around the edges. That said, Iā€™ve been liking it solo. A nice open world RPG with fun subplots and good dialogue, and so much detail.

Like my druid can turn into a bear or a wolf, but also a cat (to avoid being noticed) or a badger (to tunnel across the screen), or talk with animals (and there are just soooo many animals to chat up) or talk with dead (and there are soooo many corpses).

I suppose I need to play Divinity some day now. Wish I had a million more hours in the day.

SCII finally has a patch for the first time in almost 2 years. PvZ is less boring at least.

Return to Monkey Island just came out. I got the switch version. The controls are surprisingly good for a console. I own all the other Monkey Island games on PC. I wanted it portably.

Finally playing elden ring, which is my first souls. Obviously mixed feeling about the gameplay, but canā€™t stop admiring the crumbling walls of so many beautiful ruined castles.

It was my first too.

My recommendation, do not look up any guides in the beginning. Explore everything yourself, even if it means dying constantly.

It makes the game so much more fun and rewarding.

It truly is in a class of its own.

Tips: levels donā€™t really matter that much. In fact, you can beat the game even if you never level. Itā€™s all about the content.

If you get stuck in one place, just go to a different place. Thereā€™s no order that you need to follow. And since levels donā€™t really matter, neither does the game region. Just explore explore explore!

Donā€™t worry about missing game content. Youā€™ll never explore everything. In fact, I missed an entire region (huge region too) and realizing it only after I beat the game.

This was not my favorite watch-husband-play-for-the-story game.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been playing a mage, which I now regret since, like Skyrim, itā€™s just not made for mages. I did look up where a staff was at one point because the game kept handing me Giant Axes and such instead.

I agree that the most fun is just wandering around, in part because the world is big and beautiful. And in part because the alternative is to waste an evening dying to the same boss 11x in a row. At this point Iā€™m putting off dungeons until my brother is online for summoning.

If thatā€™s the one with the magic stick that shoots magic at enemies in a kind of non-aggressive fashion - husband used that.

He also had a Burger King guy head.

1 Like

itā€™s the pumpkin head!!

oh wait, no youā€™re talking about the mage mask

Also, I like that there is no story. Just various ghosts mumbling incoherently for a couple lines about various nonsense before riding off to next decrepit tower full of giant monsters with gianter axes.

Then winning some incredibly cryptically named item that does nothing useful.

1 Like

1 Like

Itā€™s harder in the beginning for sure. But all the mage stuff are concentrated in mage towns, so once you get to those places, youā€™d find a bunch of shit thatā€™ll make you appreciate being a mage

yeah lolol I get it now

1 Like

If itā€™s story you want, you can watch youtube videos for that (just no guides!!!). But yeah, the story is intentionally in fragments, and pieced together by players through items descriptions, and occasional NPC dialogue

No I prefer none. Video game stories are so bad.

This one isnā€™t terrible. I mean, George RR Martin is behind it.