Offical Video Game Thread

is Minecraft open world? do you see other players? I don’t get how there’s enough space for people to build these mega projects

Yeah, it’s weird that just one game works. You’d think no games or work, or several would work.

You can rebuy the old games on the switch, but they cost as much as new Nintendo games, which are also expensive. A used console would be cheaper.

IMO the new generation of mario games is pretty comparable to the old generations. Nothing is really faster or slower or better or worse.

I do really like the Switch for carrying a lot of PC games at a reasonable price, while being portable, and available in the living room, with controllers.

People can play with each other, but not with everyone else. You can play in single player mode, in your own world on your own PC, or you can play in multiplayer mode. But in multiplayer, you play on a server that is only accessed by certain people. Honestly, it’s mostly “security by obscurity”, and there are players who like to find random mulitplayer worlds that aren’t theirs and trash them, but a server can be set up to have a white list of allowed players, or a black list of banned players. I’m going with “obscurity plus a backup of the files”, so if someone does show up and trash everything, I can just boot them and reset to where it was.

A really popular minecraft server might host a couple hundred players. Mine basically hosts me, plus sometimes my son, and sometimes I talk a friend into popping by to see what i’ve done.

1 Like

Also, each world is really huge. I think it’s something like 60 million meters by 60 million meters. So there’s plenty of room if players spread out. But there are a couple of resources that only exist close to “spawn” (where a new player shows up in the world) and there are certain advantages to being close to spawn.

The part of my world that I’ve generated (places that no player has ever been close to aren’t in memory, and will first be generated when someone goes there) fits into a rectangle that’s about 9000 meters by 7000 meters, and I’ve really only created a fat diagonal line through that space. So… lots more space out there. Lots and lots…

1 Like

must feel lonely if you’re in a world by yourself

1 Like

Elden Ring is a lonely place too.

Best game ever in human history!!!

Sometimes. Although there are lots of animals and monsters. But hey, if anyone wants to visit me in Minecraft, drop me a DM.

Despite playing video games all the time, I have a hard time getting into “Open World Survivalcraft” games because I also want to play them with friends, and the friends always blaze through them much faster than I’m willing to play.

I’d generally agree with you. But Elden Ring is more of a alternate reality/spiritual journey.

Imagine waking up and you’re in a different world and you are given no clues. No purpose at all. No directions. The first monsters you see kill you in one hit.
It’s basically life, if you had no parents.

I always play for like three hours, and make a nice little hut somewhere, maybe smelt some copper or cook some rabbits.

Then I log on a week later, to see my friends have sailed off to new continents, built a 5-story castle, drive hum-vees, and fight dinosaurs with flame-throwers.

Blizzard has finally killed SC2 I think. :frowning: They pulled funding for all the professional tournaments. Am sad.

Expecting a mass migration to Stormgate when it comes out. Hopefully they don’t screw it up.

But competitive SC1 is still a thing.

Yeah it’ll still exist similarly, just not nearly at the same level.

I think it’ll be the same level. I mean, there are basically no replacements to SC2. And there’s already too much competitive money in that game.

It’s all about mobile, open world, and microtransactions nowadays. There’s not gonna be something like SC2

lol. E-sports are here to stay.

Shit, I should probably start training my daughter. Soon twitch vr e-sports will be the only job.

Are there even any good Real Time Strategy games in recent years?

as long as you’re a girl, you’ll have an audience on twitch.

Sure, but I want her as a l337 sniper team, not sitting in a hot-tub making ASMR

Not that I know of, but the problem with Real Time Strategy is that the format peaked 30 years ago.