News that makes you say WTF?!?!

Maybe Egglands “best” just isn’t that good any more.

MEBGA!

School shooters getting younger ever year. WTF? How does a 6 year old bring a gun to school and shoot a teacher?

1 Like

Backpack

probably saw it in a video game

Yikes. In some (hopefully all*) states it is illegal to have unlocked guns in a home with minor children. The parents are likely guilty of a crime in this case. Not Murder 1, but a crime at any rate.

*But probably not

Sounds like an infringement on the right to bear arms

not all gun owners secure them and keep them properly stored. results like this follow.

i talked with my kids a lot about what to do if a friend said they had a gun or they found one at a friend’s house. (A) don’t touch it, (2) failing that never point it at anyone, (2a) don’t let anyone point it at you, and (D) tell a grown up immediately.

TIL there’s actually a city called Newport News

I’m still not buying. Candy prices at the airport are highway robbery.

Maybe it should be called “runway robbery”.

1 Like

Do parents (or whoever the gun owner was) ever get sued for everything they own?
Or just Alex Jones?

A good 6 year old with a gun stops a bad 6 year old with a gun

3 Likes

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter4/section18.2-56.2/

Assuming the kid got the gun at home, his parent(s) might be in trouble.

But it seems to be OK to leave a loaded, unsecured firearm to endanger adults. Interesting.
Just like all economics, you have to hit them where it hurts.

Yeah, that’s kind of weird wording. Given that the kid had access to it, I think it’s fair to say he endangered himself.

And given that he brought it to school it’s certainly fair to say that he endangered other students… even if he ended up not shooting any of them.

It’s a “class 1 misdemeanor”, and i read elsewhere that the penalty is $500. Which seems light.

According to this it’s as much as 12 months in jail and $2,500. Which is light considering the consequences of the crime, but more than a $500 fine. 12 months in jail and a criminal conviction will follow them the rest of their lives.

And given the outcome I think a judge or jury would be hard pressed to say the parent(s) deserved anything less than the maximum.

That’s pretty close to the maximum penalty a dog owner faced when his dog got loose and killed my cat. (The actual penalty was a small fine and a legal requirement to build a better dog cage, so the thing wouldn’t get loose in the future.)

I’d they actually get hit with a real penalty, let me know. Until then I’m underwhelmed with the legal liability of irresponsible gun owners.

I lived there in middle scbool.