News that makes you say WTF?!?!

I’ve probably shared this before, but i once accidentally took my kids to a nude beach. The kids were really embarrassed. Their father told them they should consider it educational. I ended up in a discussion with a nude guy about apple trees, and my kids squirmed in embarrassment.

1 Like

Eve, is that you?

2 Likes

what is it w/ Nevada (ex-)officials?

Wasn’t sure where to put this, so picked here. Don’t have a link.

Recently heard radio adds looking for people who have used certain prescription drugs “recreationally” for a study of some kind where you will need to stay over night a couple times and will be compensated for your time.

Can’t remember if it was for some drug testing or something else. IIRC, one of the drugs they asked specifically about was Xanax.

If they have the right guy (and it sounds like they do) then I hope he fries.

With the description of what court papers say it is a bit surprising the driver is only charged with Vehicular Homicide.

Police: Driver admitted to intentionally killing teen at North Dakota street dance after political dispute

Court papers say 41-year-old Shannon Brandt confessed to a 911 dispatcher and police that he killed 18-year-old Cayler Ellingson due to a political dispute.

(Police: Driver admitted to intentionally killing teen at North Dakota street dance after political dispute - Grand Forks Herald | Grand Forks, East Grand Forks news, weather & sports)

The CBSNEW version leave out anything describing the politics.

Court papers show Brandt called 911 around 2:30 a.m. Sunday and told the 911 dispatcher that he just hit Ellingson, claiming the teen was part of a Republican extremist group and was calling people to come get Brandt after a political argument.

Beyond Meat COO decides he wants to eat some meat after all, and bites the tip off a man’s nose

Yeah, well, things could be worse. I coulda got my nose bit off by a Saigon whore.

RN, but I had to do some research. Never seen that movie.

A family’s two pit bulls go berserk and kill two siblings.

I think every pit bull should be neutered or euthanized and the breed should be illegal and forced out of existence.

2 Likes

I don’t… they can be wonderfully sweet dogs. But there needs to be stricter regulations of puppy mills. Most pits that attack have been mis-bred or mis-treated or both, I believe.

There are lots of other breeds that are wonderfully sweet and don’t go berserk as often.

Dog but deaths get a lot of press because it’s often a child under the age of 4 who is mauled to death. But pit bulls make a disproportionate percentage of those horrific deaths. I’m with deep purple’s sentiment.

Pitbulls & Large Dogs

Pitbulls and Rottweilers make up 77% of all fatal dog bites, despite making up only 6% of the U.S. dog population
Pitbulls are 2.5x more likely to bite in multiple anatomical locations than other breeds.
Pitbulls are responsible for 60% of all injuries and 63% of ocular injuries.
Pitbull terriers are 31% more likely to attack an unknown individual than other breeds
Pitbull terriers are 48% more likely to attack without provocation than other breeds
Pitbull attacks have higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than attacks by other breeds.
During 2005-2017, pit bulls killed one citizen every 16.7 days, totaling up to 284 Americans. Rottweilers killed over 105 days during that time period.
From 2005 to 2017, Rottweiler and Pitbull attacks contributed to 76% of dog bite deaths.
When comparing 2005-2010 to 2011-2017, Pitbull attack deaths have increased from 58% to 71%. Alternatively, Rottweiler deaths decreased from 14% to 7%.
According to a 13-year data set, pit bulls caused 72% of attacks that killed a person 10-years and older vs. all other dog breeds put together, 28%.</li
From 2005 to 2017, 54% of fatal attacks were inflicted by family dogs. Of that 54%, 64% were done by pit bulls. 52% involved killing a family or household member.
When examining a 13-year data set, 54 fatal attacks included a dog killing its primary owner. Pit bulls were the cause of 63% of these deaths, over 8x more than any other type of dog.
Between 20015 to 2017, only 21% of fatal dog attacks resulted in criminal charges. 75% of these cases involved a pit bull.
It is estimated that by 2021, pit bulls would have mauled 441 Americans to death since 1998 and killed 515 Americans since 1980.
The U.S. Army has banned pit bulls from military housing due to their dangerous nature.

There are lots of wonderfully sweet dogs that are not lethal ticking time bombs.

1 Like

I think a lot of dogs are called mutts until they attack someone, and are then called pit bulls. I’m dubious of the stats, and suspect a lot of reporting bias.

2 Likes

Im also skeptical of those stats, as the reported sources don’t back up the info.

That being said, people do breed and train pit bulls for viciousness. As long as that happens, the problem wont improve.

My last dog was a shelter rescue and labeled a pit mix. She was likely a pure pit. She was an awesome dog that lived a nice long life without being aggressive. Everyone loved her.

1 Like

Yes, and other breeds too. That is the problem we need to solve.

One thing that is true is that some types of dogs are large and strong enough to kill someone, and others mostly aren’t. Pit bulls aren’t unique in having very strong jaws, but it is something they were bred for.

Yeah, it used to be that German shepherds were popular with the “i want a mean dog” crowd. Then
Dobermans. Then Rottweilers. Now it’s Pit Bulls. Any large, strong dog that’s bred and trained to be vicious will be dangerous.

Yeah, I’m biased against German Shepherds as I was bit by one. Whereas the pit bull that I know was just the absolute sweetest dog ever. I can’t comprehend someone being ok with the German Shepherd that bit me but not the pit who’s just a snuggly ball of love. (Well, was… RIP.)

Also know a super friendly Rottweiler. I don’t like to make blanket rules about breeds. Deal with the bad breeders and the dog’s behavior.

1 Like