News that makes you say WTF?!?!

Like the punitive damages awarded to the lady that burn herself with her hot McDonald’s coffee?

I’m not sure what happened after the McDonalds coffee lawsuit. Wikipedia says they did NOT reduce the temperature of their coffee and Reader’s Digest says they DID.

Everyone seems to agree that they increased the warnings on the coffee cups.

It sounds like they should have reduced the temperature. The lady had 3rd degree burns requiring skin grafts and the coffee was 194 degrees, which is materially hotter than the recommended range of 160-185.

The McD’s lawsuit did generate a lot of publicity about lawsuits run amok, but handing someone almost boiling water in a styrofoam or paper cup is not as crazy as the media portrayed. The injuries were not what you’d expect from a cup of coffee. I think they changed serving temps, but have no factual info on that. Lawyers get involved with the warnings on the cups, but IDNGAF about that as it’s a cover your ass move.

@twig93 and @ArthurItas what I was trying to point out was if you read the article it sounds like the company didn’t do what they should have done and then they did a lot of stuff to try to coverup that they didn’t do it and they billed the dead lady for the work the guy did and even sent it to collections when she didn’t pay (because she was dead) and tried to get it into arbitration using what appears to be significant amounts of forgery and other hanky stuff.

So like the McDonald’s case where McDonald’s knew there was significant risk to those buying their coffee and had paid off people in the past, they decided to keep the coffee at the high temp because that was what was best for the company, the few customers that get injured be d*mned.

Haven’t there been a couple movies about this type of stuff? The one about the car where the blinker could cause the car to explode and the one from a John Grisham novel about the insurance company?

The jury in the McDonald’s case calculated the punitive damages to be either 1 day’s revenue or 1 day’s profit of the company. I wonder if that is similar to what this company did. I imagine most of the jurors probably knew there was a limit on punitive damages but made the award as a statement.

1 Like

Blasphemy! It’s Sooooh-daaaah!

It sounds like you think I’m disagreeing with you.

Yes, I think Charter should be held accountable. If the statutory limit on punitive damages is $750,000 that is way WAY too low for a loss of life and a company with deep pockets. That said, $7,000,000,000 seems too high for negligence with no intent to harm.

$7,000,000 is in the right vicinity though, IMO.

The McDonalds lady deserved (and received) less as her injuries were not life threatening, but McDonalds should have paid her economic damages plus I think some punitive damages as well. If they didn’t reduce the max temperature they serve their coffee at as a result of the lawsuit, they should have.

I am :rofl:.

It’s only ok to comment on the deliciousness of animals AFTER they are slaughtered, duh!

lamb fat is very yummy

Goat fat is yummier, I think, but ffs. If people are meat-eaters, I mean, get over it.

2 Likes

I would imagine that most of the people who haven’t gotten over it aren’t meat eaters.

When I took my son up to help with the sheep herd this summer I’m sure that I made a comment about them being yummy at one point or another.

i wonder if they’re just as revolted with homer simpsons “unprocessed fish sticks, mmm…”

1 Like

Perhaps Ramsay was referencing the upcoming feast of Rocky Mountain oysters . . .
:man_shrugging:

Those parts have probably already been removed. It looks like the tails are gone (although they left more tail than we do)

All the more reason to start saying “yummy”.

From wiki, Rocky Mountain Oysters are bull testicles.

Lamb or sheep testicles are usually called Lamb Fries.

And the article seems to use lamb as both the singular and plural forms. I thought it was one lamb and two or more lambs. And Webster seems to agree with that.

It’s still lamb as long as it’s under a year old…

after that, it’s mutton

Looking at the video, those lambs are definitely under 6 months old. Probably closer to 3 or 4.

that’s less a WTF? from me than a “Well, it was bound to happen”.