Music All you fun king funking lovers love

So let’s chill a bit after that last lot… Everybody knows its an industrial disease.

Hey all y’all how ya doin’? (If’n I say How ya doin’ huh? it leads into the thorazine shuffle and Gov’t Mule’s gotta wait.) I hope yer doing well.
I realized after a quick perusal of the past posts in this thread I have not shared any Polly Jean. PJ Harvey is, well, damn. She is… damn can’t define it. She leaves me without proper words. Music can be entertainment and that is often enough but sometimes music is the medium for art, the entertainment that enlightens. That is PJ Harvey. I leave it at that so I go all fanboy on ya.
Here’s the first PJ Harvey song I heard.

1 Like

So PJ Harvey is a poet. Her lyrics are poetry. Just beautiful and then she makes them music.

Dress

Put on that dress
I’m going out dancing
Starting off red
Clean and sparkling, he’ll see me
Music play, make it dreamy for dancing
Must be a way that I can dress to please him
It’s hard to walk in the dress, it’s not easy
I’m swinging over like a heavy loaded fruit tree

If you put it on
If you put it on
If you put it on
If you put it on

It’s sad to see
Lonely, all this lonely
Close up my eyes
Dreamy, dreamy music, make it be alright
Music play, make it good for romacing
Must be a way I can dress to please him
Swing and sway, everything will be alright
But it’s feeling so damn tight tonight

If you put it on
If you put it on
If you put it on
If you put it on

“You pretty thing” my man says
“But I bought you beautiful dresses”
“You pretty thing” my man says
“But I bought you beautiful dresses”

Filthy tight, the dress is filthy
I’m falling flat and my arms are empty
Clear the way, better get it out of this room
A fallen woman in dancing costume

If you put it on
If you put it on
If you put it on
If you put it on

If you put it on
If you put it on
If you put it on
If you put it on

man Sized

I’m coming up man-sized skinned alive
I want to fit I’ve got to get
Man-sized I’m heading on
Handsome got my leather boots on
Got my girl and she’s a wow
I cast my iron knickers down
Man-sized no need to shout
Can you hear can you hear me now
I’m man-sized

Man sized
I’ll measure time I’ll measure height
I’ll calculate my birthright
Good Lord I’m big I’m heading on
Man-sized got my leather boots on
Got my girl and she’s a wow
I cast my iron knickers down
Man-sized no need to shout
Can you hear, can you hear me now
My babe looking cool and neat
I’m pretty sure good enough to eat
I’m man-sized no need to shout
Let it all, let it all hang out
I’m man-size, man size
Man size, man size, man size, man size
Man size, man size

Silence my lady head
Get girl out of my head
Douse hair with gasoline
Set it light and set it free
Silence my lady head
Get girl out of my head
Douse hair with gasoline
Set it light and set it free

She’s an entertainer.

She’s a social commentator. (For those that might not get it, try to see how many male rock stars she imitates here)

Is this love that I’m feeling?

1 Like

One more cause I love this cover with Bjork.

1 Like

That’s such a bizarre yet compelling pairing, like champagne with filet mignon.

I couldn’t get no satisfaction (votes) when I submitted Miss Polly Jean in the new music game for the ‘British artist’ round. :frowning:

1 Like

Heard this singer/songwriter a couple of years ago and I think he’s awesome. This song isn’t his most popular, but it’s the first one I heard.

1 Like

that Clutch number is very ZZ Top-ish.

1 Like

I love the whole Love Over Gold Album, very under rated in their catalogue. It Never Rains is probably my favorite from that one.

1 Like

Going back thru the thread make sure I didn’t miss anything. This rips! And ya, I’m usually out* for a rip when posting here.

• actually in so this is pandemic compliant out.

That was great! Subscribed.

Listened to Bob and Tom locally back in the day. I’ve always had issue with their laughing over songs. So many good and humorous songs with their laugh track like taint.

Here Come The Mummies - Do You Believe

I believe.

1 Like

I listen to a lot of psychedelia so I believe I listened to this before. Excellent! Crisp and capable with understanding.

How I think of Clutch. If I made a movie with a scene in the big rowdy local bar Clutch would be the band playing on the stage jamming out tunes that seem to fit the movie but not really. Since it’s my movie the crowd would be jamming out to Clutch and wouldn’t notice the protagonist in the side shot doing the protagonist thing. Critics would later wonder why the scene in the bar lingered on the band for so long.

1 Like

Well damn you have good taste. Here ya go

1 Like

You might like Wolf Alice if you haven’t heard them before or maybe you already know them. I stumbled on them during the pandemic but they’ve been around a little while and were playing bigger venues just before the Pandemic hit.
Sometimes I find their studio stuff is a bit “over produced and popish” but still pretty good

However I think their live stuff is better. Much more raw and organic

Here is one of the earliest videos from the band I could find if you want to see what they sounded like early on

2 Likes

So I was listening to music when Wolfmother Joker and the Thief came up

…which got me thinking Wolfmother, wait, Wolf Alice. Damn. I owe Yankee Tripper a response for the post about Wolf Alice. So I went and took a piss. Then I got another Voodoo Ranger and decided to get back on the AO and see what I could do to rectify my lack of response to you. First I know Wolf Alice from Smile

I listened to your links. Damn. Just Damn. Formidable Cool crushed the 3 listen test*. Wolf Alice has moved to the top cloud. Thank you.

• The three listen test is you hear a song and you think you like it. So then you look it up. Find the lyrics. Find out what you can about it, then listen (undistracted) to it at least 2 more times back to back. If you still like it it’s a banger. Any band that can make one banger is worth listening to their catalog to see if they have any more.
1 Like

So tonight’s music is brought to you by Sid Meier. I was playing CIV 5 my go to for a peaceful easy evening after a long day. I was playing Brazil and was crushing the culture and diplomacy enough to goad Assyria into attacking me and going to war when to my delight I was greeted with this beauty.

So if you don’t know the game Civilization 5 by Sid Meier has theme music for all the leaders (you pick a world leader then conquer the world with war, diplomacy, culture, politics, or science.) The music is unique to the nation. That war theme for Pedro II of Brazil is based on Chega de Saudade. João Gilberto’s version is the best known according to Wikipedia.

Okay according to Wikipedia… wait, here’s what they say:

" Chega de Saudade " (Brazilian Portuguese: ['ʃega dʒi saw’dadʒi]), also known as " No More Blues ", is a bossa nova jazz standard. It is often considered to be the first bossa nova song to be recorded.[1] Like “The Girl from Ipanema”, the music for “Chega de Saudade” was composed by [Antônio Carlos Jobim] with lyrics by Vinícius de Moraes. João Gilberto’s recording is the best known.
The song was first recorded in 1957 by Brazilian singer Elizete Cardoso and released on her 1958 album, Canção Do Amor Demais . However, people took little notice of her release of the song. João Gilberto included the second recorded version in 1958.[1] Released as a single, the song became a hit and would consolidate bossa nova as a permanent genre in the Latin music lexicon. The song also appeared on Gilberto’s first album Chega De Saudade .

Here’s Elizete Cardoso original version.

And if you haven’t heard it enough times here’s two more versions that I like.

I had some business in Alabama this weekend which had me driving north through TN and KY. I did some radio surfing. Thanks to corporate radio I had a selection of “classics” from the 70’s and 80’s. As much as I enjoy hearing Rush’s Working Man or a ripper about Fat Bottom Girls from Queen I know that when I need to make the trip again later this week I could probably hear the same thing.

Dear corporate radio, please stop turning art into banal shit by repeatably (yeah it ain’t a work fuck you) beating us with it so you can sell a few more ads.

Any way here’s a bit of Courtney Barnett

2 Likes

Here’s something for you. First i thought of an Eddie Money theme, then a couple other themes. Then, I got lazy and thought just toss out a one off. have i posted this before? Have you heard it? Yah, that’s her voice.