Live-blogging the debate

Gotta say that it was a good set of questions from the moderators. Touched a lot of the major bases. And they did a reasonable job of moderating the candidates.

Yeah, Walker looked like he wanted to say something to Warnock and Warnock walked away. Not too big a deal… they did shake hands at least.

Agree in general, but the one moderator question I hated was the one about the Atlanta Braves. Irrelevant in the senate race, and just trying to stir culture wars.

1 Like

Yes he has also claimed to work for county law enforcement in addition to the claims about being an FBI agent.

1 Like

Eh, but something politicians frequently do weigh in on.

The one I thought was really unfair was asking Warnock about his child support payments to his ex-wife when there is a case on the matter currently pending.

Yes, politicians do love to weigh in on culture war questions that have nothing to do with their job. They don’t need encouragement or an additional platform there.

The child support question was a bit of a low blow. I think that was an effort to appear fair and balanced

If that is your reaction, it confirms my suspicion the questions were biased.

1 Like

The child support question was dumb. Was it just giving him a chance to hang himself by railing against having to pay? It’s a reassessment, not a deadbeat situation.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t know how it works in Georgia. I have a divorced friend in Ohio and if there is a change in circumstances either party may request a reassessment, but the default is to just continue with the old amount until the youngest kid ages out. So normally you request a reassessment if your own pay decreased or you suspect the other party’s pay increased.

They seemed to make it out to be a big deal that Warnock’s income had increased and his ex-wife had to go after him for more child support. In Ohio I believe that is standard operating procedure.

The only thing I can think of is if the parties are required to report a change in income of more than X% and Warnock failed to do so after being elected to the Senate. If that’s the case then maybe he did something wrong, but it’s pretty hard to say as I don’t know the Georgia law or how much his income changed. (One presumes the church decreased his pay now that he’s gone half the time.)

Since I prefer Warnock to Walker I assume you mean biased in favor of Warnock? I don’t think so. As I mentioned, the child support question was unfair. They also asked Walker about paying for an abortion and encouraging another, which he continued to categorically deny.

Mostly they asked both candidates the same questions and alternated who answered first.

The moderators shoukd have asked Warnock and Walker to name all of their children.

Considering that the moderator tried to frame Warnock as a deadbeat dad with their questioning (a gift to Walker’s campaign), and Walker had been running as a family values/deadbeat dad’s are the problems candidate.

Also, you say the questions were balanced and asked the same. Did the moderator ask Walker about any time he was taken tk court for child support?

The choice of questions and the issues discussed were more in line with your views and what you think are important.

I background watched the first 30-40 minutes, but did they ask anything about January 6, election misinformation, Putin? If they mostly avoid the topics that would make Walker squirm and or make Republicans look like hypocrites than it is biased.

1 Like

Consensus seems to be that Walker “won” the debate as he didn’t come across as a total idiot? His support shouldn’t decline as a result.

I don’t remember anything about child support on Walker’s side, but one of the very first questions was about him paying his ex-girlfriend to have an abortion and encouraging her to have another one.

They asked if Joe Biden won the election and they asked about Putin.

Herschel Walker said that Joe Biden did win the election, IIRC.

Yes. They also asked both candidates if they would accept the results of this election regardless of the winner. Both said yes.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/amoneyresists/status/1581331405141069824?s=46&t=zuqfU7VvqZJz42G0ETmJ9Q

I didn’t watch the debate. Did he really say that?

1 Like

Yeah, I mean I was expecting a Walker train-wreck and that didn’t happen. He was mostly competent at repeating the answers he’d prepped. There were moments that he didn’t come across well though.

Warnock seemed more competent to me, which is in line with my a priori expectation, but he did come across as a slimy politician a few times when he wouldn’t answer questions or changed the subject slightly.

Walker gave straight answers to the questions… except that Medicaid / hospital one where he seemed like he was trying to answer the question but his answer made no sense. I was surprised that he just straight up said that yes Biden won.

Did he just lose Trump’s endorsement…?

I don’t think they did this … at least not egregiously anyway. They asked about Putin / Ukraine, they asked if Biden won the election, they asked if Walker would support Trump in 2024 (and asked Warnock if he would support Biden in 2024). It was only an hour, so shorter than some debates I’ve watched. Not sure why it was so short… maybe that’s all Walker agreed to?