Live-blogging the debate

Walker also did a big flip flop on abortion. Leading up to the debate he has repeatedly said no abortions should be allowed for any reason, including to save the life of the mother. He’s also called for a similar national abortion ban.

During the debate he seemingly changed position to say he only supports the GA “heartbeat law”, which is indeed pretty restrictive but not at all what he’s been saying to date.

2 Likes

Yeah, a heartbeat bill can be pretty close to a total ban. That said, from what I can tell Georgia’s heartbeat bill does include exceptions for “medical emergencies”, and in cases of rape or incest if a police report was filed. He said he supported Georgia’s heartbeat bill specifically, so that does seem like a flip flop if he’d previously supported no exceptions.

But i thought…

Seems like they were pretty bias to Walker if they didn’t ask him those same questions.

The child support question came at the end. I did specify “mostly” which I see that you edited out. They didn’t ask Warnock the question about paying for an abortion either.

The child support question to Warnock was definitely unfair though. I’ve said that several times.

Another question they asked Walker was about his previous diagnosis with dissociative disorder and whether he was receiving treatment. He acknowledged past mental health issues, but was evasive about any treatment or lack thereof he might be receiving. He said something like he talks to a couple of pastors and he’s doing well. They asked something like what do you say to the voters that have concerns about that, and he just said something about being a champion for mental health

1 Like

If that’s it, they made it pretty easy for walker. He can support Trump, say Biden won the election, and we just skip over the big lie and January 6?

1 Like

Well if Walker says Biden won the election then he’s basically saying he doesn’t buy into the big lie, is he not?

I can’t remember if they asked about January 6. I was folding laundry and sometimes paying more attention than others. I don’t remember a question about January 6 specifically.

Anyway, please don’t construe any of this to mean that I would vote for Walker. If I was voting in the Georgia election I would vote for Warnock.

But I was expecting Walker to be a train wreck and despite a couple head-scratching moments, it didn’t happen. The moderators certainly gave him enough rope to hang himself and he didn’t. He did look pretty silly with the police badge though, and one of the moderators came down pretty hard on him for that.

I’d add that the questions where I thought Walker had the best answers (abortion and supporting a hypothetical Trump 2024 campaign) are the ones where I disagree with him the most. But I think he gave answers that most Republican voters would like and that would encourage them to actually vote for him.

How could you even consider it “mostly balanced” when they made the completely bias questioning towards Warnock while skipping over Walker’s documented past that is wat worse than Warnock wrt child support. That is just ridiculous. It is one thing to target a “right wing talking point” about one of the candidates, but it is just just mocking the concept of impartiality to ignore the other candidate being even worse.

I think Warnock would have been perfectly fine answering if he had paid for abortions, and wouldn’t have even had to lie about it. So, i am not sure what type of “balance” that is.

Warnock constantly took the high ground in the debate, and was not goaded by Walker’s attacks and lies. You have to be absurdly bias to think that Walker outperformed Warnock.

I didn’t say Walker outperformed Warnock. He outperformed expectations.

Maybe. It doesn’t answer much about anything on that or January 6.

How about the followup when he said he supported Trump - “what do you think of trumps actions after the 2020 election through January 6?”

Every republican should be on the record on that separately from saying Biden won.

It’s a top concern in polls this year.

I agree. Are you saying that they did ask that question or that they should have asked it?

I will say that for only one hour they asked a lot of questions that touched on a lot of areas though, and there’s a lot more they could have asked on a lot of things. But sure, if I could trade the Warnock child support question for a Walker one on January 6 then I would make that trade.

1 Like

Should have asked it. They covered a lot of topics and that should have made the first 20 minutes.

I don’t think walker would be able to answer it in a way that doesn’t lose him votes. Silence is his best option. That may be true of many debate questions, but that one in particular seems important enough that skipping it makes it seem like a bit of bias towards walker.