Kroger, Albertsons to merge into amazingly mediocre grocery store

Yeah, I had a hard time figuring out why people in town kept talking about ALDI. Because I shopped at one in like 2001 and it was just nasty. Good luck finding produce besides hot house tomatoes and iceberg lettuce.

I bought some frozen pizzas and I’m pretty sure the crust was made from 40% post-consumer recycled cardboard.

2 Likes

You need a quarter to unlock a shopping cart, which you get back when you return it. Keeps people from leaving carts all over the parking lot.

1 Like

If I only need a few items, I get around the quarter issue by bringing my own bag in the store or snagging a box from the front. We try to keep quarters in the car nowadays though, which can also come in handy for a quick meter parking stint.

my town has TWO aldi’s.

We have a Trader Joe’s and a whole foods, and three local chains that are better than the local Albertsons-owned chain.

Is Aldi an East Coast thing? I’d heard of Aldi as kind of the European Trader Joes but I didn’t know they had US stores too.

Oh I see they have West Coast locations, just none in WA.

1 Like

Sheesh, why don’t all grocery stores do that? They could probably save an entire FTE with that. People are dicks when it comes to carts.

1 Like

Aldi, bland, but cheap. Just like BMW.

Lawrence, KS has one!

Baller alert.

Aldi is in 35 states + DC. From the sounds of it, I’m not missing out. I’ll stick with TJs, thanks.

1 Like

Annouced this week, apparently unrelated to the proposed merger, Disco Kroger and Baby Kroger are being permanently closed. Disco Kroger I believe is what started this naming thing about Kroger locations here decades ago.

What made it Disco Kroger? Lighting? Music?

From the thread where this came up before

1 Like

Neither Kroger nor Albertson ever bothered to expand into Canada unlike Walmart and Costco which are quite large here. However we have many other grocery store options that I prefer.

My grocery shopping is probably
45% Walmart
35% Aldi
10% Target
10% Hy Vee

Aldi has great prices and also some nice seasonal European things you just don’t find elsewhere. On the other hand it can get a bit crowded and some things can get picked over. Walmart is next door to Aldi three miles from my house, so if I can’t get it at Aldi I have a backup plan.

Hmmm, my groceries are probably

60% Costco
15% Trader Joe’s
12% regular grocery store
10% Target
3% specialty store

I’m guessing my grocery purchases are probably:

50% Publix
25% Kroger
15% Sprouts
10% Mix of other (local farmers market type places, Whole Foods, butcher shop,…)

Mine:

60% Wholefoods
35% H Mart
5% Some other Asian local supermarket

I’m nost sure of the percentages, but over the past month we’ve got stuff from:

ShopRite
Foodtown
Target
Walmart
Stop & Shop
Local deli
Butcher shop 1
Butcher shop 2
Seafood store 1
Seafood store 2
Asian market
Polish market
“World Market”
Wine store (for cooking wine)
Italian market
jersey Mike’s Subs (they sell me a sub bread for $1, we use it with pasta dishes)
Pickle store