Kroger, Albertsons to merge into amazingly mediocre grocery store

Doesn’t really affect me, as Albertson’s chains aren’t near me. Publix and Kroger are the 2 bigger traditional grocers here, but some Walmart’s and Target’s have grocery departments. Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and Sprouts also have multiple locations

Close to home there’s a Publix and Kroger almost side by side. I shop at Publix more and generally prefer them, but I do shop at Kroger some as there are a few items they are better at.

I like Publix when I used to live in FL.

It’s huuuuuge.

Good title. Pour one out for Westley and pay him some $AO in royalties for the play on the Sears/KMart thread title. Ah…those were the days.

5 Likes

morton williams by me is more expensive than whole foods. trader joes is the cheapest.

prefer whole foods for produce and trader joes for most other things.

We don’t have Trader Joe’s nearby but we have an ALDI store, same parent company. They have a lot of cool stuff and solid prices, and I go there somewhat regularly. They don’t quite have enough of a selection to make it my primary store.

I need to hit ALDI soon, hopefully they have the charcuterie stuff like last fall.

We have ALDI too, but it’s not super close for me. I have to drive maybe 20 minutes or so to reach one. They do have nice prices and some good products, but I agree their selection is too limited to make it a primary store even if I was right next to it.

Nope.

There are two Aldi’s - “Aldi Nord” and “Aldi Süd”. They sometimes cooperate, but they are different companies.

Aldi Nord owns TJ’s; Aldi Süd owns Aldi-US.

2 Likes

RN to the AO thread title about Kmart and Sears.

AO RIP

2 Likes

I have never been to an ALDI. For some reason I thought it was lower end, but I don’t think of TJs as low end. So maybe I’m wrong about ALDI. Worth checking out when I’m near one?

And I see I was ninja’d too. Made it even better.

1 Like

Did not know this. So if I’m in the US there’s no connection between TJs & ALDI?

Definitely less fancy than Trader Joe’s, but it’s worth checking out.

2 Likes

The connection would be limited to how Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd are descended from a common “Aldi”.

(When the founder died, his two sons inherited. One son took the northern outlets, while the other son took the southern outlets. Outside Germany and the US, they mostly stay in separate countries. Aldi Nord bought TJ’s, while Aldi Süd simply expanded into the US, their noncompete being relaxed due to the size of the US market, and the differences in brand.)

1 Like

Interesting. I heard that TJs and ALDI were related… maybe on Reddit. And the stores seemed similar enough that it made sense. Never googled it, appreciate the correction.

2 Likes

I go to Aldi quite regularly. They have some good organic vegetables, canned fish, bacon, prosciutto, tortellini, calzone, trail mix, frozen vegetables, canned Italian rose, kombucha and European chocolate.

During Oktoberfest, they have lots of Deutsche Kuche brand stuff with good jaffa cakes, muesli, frozen cabbage mix and canned herring in pineapple curry sauce (which goes off the shelves quickly).

Most of the Oktoberfest is gone now but soon they’ll have the Xmas stuff.

1 Like

Just went to ALDI. I think I’m going to do a charcuterie board for Thanksgiving, I can get 75% of what I’d want there. Oh, and whole beef tenderloin is $9/lb. Beef Wellington might be on the menu instead of turkey.

2 Likes

The beer selection at TJs has significantly been reduced lately. Sucks. Even worse, half the beer section is now hard seltzers. Ugh.

This is happening everywhere. Hate it.

I haven’t been to Aldi since they were gross. I grew up poor and one year my mom made our entire thanksgiving from Aldi food. The Turkey was a Turkey loaf. The cranberry sauce didn’t taste anything like cranberry. It was the saddest thanksgiving meal I’ve ever had, although as an adult providing for a family I now have a bit more perspective on the whole thing.

I have vivid memories of being inside Aldi as a child. It smelled like stale moon pies.

I never have a quarter on me, so I can’t shop there anyway. We have one relatively close by; my neighbor loves shopping there.

1 Like

See, this is the impression I had of Aldi. So I’m not just making that up… they used to be low-end?

Say what now? You need a quarter to shop there???

1 Like