Kroger, Albertsons to merge into amazingly mediocre grocery store

Sheesh, why don’t all grocery stores do that? They could probably save an entire FTE with that. People are dicks when it comes to carts.

1 Like

Aldi, bland, but cheap. Just like BMW.

Lawrence, KS has one!

Baller alert.

Aldi is in 35 states + DC. From the sounds of it, I’m not missing out. I’ll stick with TJs, thanks.

1 Like

Annouced this week, apparently unrelated to the proposed merger, Disco Kroger and Baby Kroger are being permanently closed. Disco Kroger I believe is what started this naming thing about Kroger locations here decades ago.

What made it Disco Kroger? Lighting? Music?

From the thread where this came up before

1 Like

Neither Kroger nor Albertson ever bothered to expand into Canada unlike Walmart and Costco which are quite large here. However we have many other grocery store options that I prefer.

My grocery shopping is probably
45% Walmart
35% Aldi
10% Target
10% Hy Vee

Aldi has great prices and also some nice seasonal European things you just don’t find elsewhere. On the other hand it can get a bit crowded and some things can get picked over. Walmart is next door to Aldi three miles from my house, so if I can’t get it at Aldi I have a backup plan.

Hmmm, my groceries are probably

60% Costco
15% Trader Joe’s
12% regular grocery store
10% Target
3% specialty store

I’m guessing my grocery purchases are probably:

50% Publix
25% Kroger
15% Sprouts
10% Mix of other (local farmers market type places, Whole Foods, butcher shop,…)

Mine:

60% Wholefoods
35% H Mart
5% Some other Asian local supermarket

I’m nost sure of the percentages, but over the past month we’ve got stuff from:

ShopRite
Foodtown
Target
Walmart
Stop & Shop
Local deli
Butcher shop 1
Butcher shop 2
Seafood store 1
Seafood store 2
Asian market
Polish market
“World Market”
Wine store (for cooking wine)
Italian market
jersey Mike’s Subs (they sell me a sub bread for $1, we use it with pasta dishes)
Pickle store

I['m not sure of the percentages, either. But we get groceries mostly from two smaller chains, and also from Whole Foods, Trader Joes, with supplements from a Chinese and an Indian grocery store.

Woah. Woah. Woah. I’m sorry, you have a pickle store??? That is freaking cool.

We are roughly:

60% local grocer
30% Costco
Then a smattering of the butcher shop, farmer’s market, occasionally the Asian market, and Hy-Vee. I used to shop more at Hy-Vee but my last few trips I’ve been disappointed with them. They are chronically sold out of bagels, and the prices are quite high - about 20-30% higher than my local grocer.

I sometimes go to a fishmonger, a cheese shop, and some bakeries/bagel places, but I’ve never seen a pickle store.

1 Like

we?
spoused up?

ETD: oh you’re not ao fan

We had a cheese shop near us in Colorado, 'twas amazing. Never lived near a fishmonger but I’m totally jealous. My FIL is a part time rancher, so we are able to get free range, grass fed beef in large quantities. Not many advantages of living in Kansas but the beef is legit at least.