I've only seen it printed

that is a thing, when you pronounce something right, but moreso after someone else doesn’t

Gyro & Pho come to mind

I have some friends who are all about their yeero and fu, in addition to thoroughly enjoying saLmon. The last one is like nails on a chalk board for me. That should probably go in the things that bother you more than it should thread bc I realize there is not a good reason for it.

1 Like
1 Like

For a long time, I avoided saying Phuket, Thailand out loud.

1 Like

what the hell is wrong with french spellings? Like half the letters are silent and the other half are pronounced wrong

And, “Those French have a different word for EVERYTHING!”

Also ask, the last two letters are mixed up

1 Like

rn

1 Like

Stu pronounces it awe-ree (on purpose, and it’s a family thing for him)

1 Like

I have not heard it the “American Way” in years.
Seems like most restaurants around here have trained their people to pronounce it right, but it jad not always been the case

For you folks that like to hang out at Home Depot and look at power tools:

Ryobi is pronounced Ree-obi (not Rye-obi)

related story: i was practicing for the 6th grade spelling bee, and my partner said “lin-GEER-ie”, and I’m like, huh? I spelled what I thought it was and he said I was wrong. I’m like, okay, spell it, and he said l-i-n-g-e-r-i-e, and I’m like, "that’s pronounced ‘lahn-zher-ay’ ". He didn’t believe me, but the other horny perverts in the class backed me up.

3 Likes

That reminds me of the time somebody asked me where the Home Depot was, pronouncing “Depot” phonetically.

There is a tech guy (matty mctech) that I have started following on FB because he has some interesting tech information, but he pronounces words weird. I haven’t decided if he really doesn’t know how to pronounce these words or does it for fun with the number of words, I have to think it is for fun. It is a little annoying. Like Google he says “Googly”.

Here is a youtube of an English Teacher who mispronounced a word as well. And the word is a word that you would think every English teacher would know. As she says, “English is hard.”

I pronounce it phonetically on purpose because it’s funny.

i was shocked to learn that recently.

yeah i always felt it should be pronounced like Lawry’s. But maybe i’ve been saying Lawry’s wrong also

poisson? anyone?

The first few pronunciations of ‘eschew’ were new to me. I never read or said the ‘ch’ sound. eh-shoo.