I've only seen it printed

Some people don’t pronounce lawyer correctly. They say loyer or something.

The first time I heard someone pronounce lawyer as “law-yer” instead of loy rhymes with boy - er I was so confused.

-Fy_NYCtSgwhttps://youtu.be/JpWR9fzBqa0

Isn’t it pronounced like liar? That’s how I pronounce it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s pronounced phonetically. Law-yer.

Law school

Law yer.

Except it isn’t.

law: /lô/
lawyer: /ˈloiər/

1 Like

segue

:confused:

Are you referring to the St. Croix river?

If so, it is never exclusively in Minnesota. It does form most of the border between MN & WI, prior to its volume being stolen by the Mississippi.

No, I meant the lake, Lac La Croix. It’s actually in the boundary waters between Minnesota and Ontario. But regardless it’s pronounced “la-croy” not “la kwah”.

And the beverage company has specified that the beverage is also pronounced “la croy”.

But my mother keeps saying “la kwah”.

a street in town Dubois, i pronounced
Du bwa, but eveyone else Du boys

add Newark NJ & DE
Houston St, NYC, & Houston TX

Louisville Colorado is pronounced “lewisville”

Des Moines, IA = “deh moyn”
Des Moines, WA = “deh moynz”

I think I finally found a personalized license plate.

quay = key?

mind blown

As in Florida Quays.

Last night I was laughed at by the kids at church and I realized I had only ever read this name. Zendaya is pronounced Zen-day-uh not Zen-dai-uh. I had always read it as the long I sound so it was funny learning it’s really the long A sound. This has been carrying on for a while because I am a big Spiderman fan so I have known who she was since at least 2017. My daughter also watched her Disney show, but I’m not sure I knew her name back then.

that is what’s good about being Jewish - we have so many dialects and pronunciations that no one comments

I mentioned this thread to my daughter and she mentioned the word Zion. In Utah it is usually pronounced with the stress on the first syllable. It is a bit harsh on my (our) ears when people pronounce it with the stress on the second.

Proust