I've only seen it printed

Bingo. I got it wrong but I was close.

Wait, I say it aloud and pronounce it uh-RYE.

Yours is the correct pronunciation

This thread is triggering one of my biggest cringe memories from middle school: co-ed reading class where I read the word lingerie, pronouncing it phonetically, and the whole class snickered.

Another cringe memory was having to look up masturbation in the dictionary, not finding it where I expected because I had the spelling wrong. And then still not understanding the definition. And this was 10th or 11th grade.

Memory lane is fun.

2 Likes

I mentally pronounced the word “chemise” like “chemist” without the T until I heard it on audiobook. That is not the only word I’ve learned I’ve mentally mispronounced since listening to audiobooks.

My father mentioned something about Turkish President / former PM Erdogan the other day. I had only seen his name in print and had been mentally mispronouncing it for two decades. :woman_facepalming:

Oh, I had no idea how to pronounce Melania until after Trump won the nomination in 2016. Hubs corrected me on that one.

I had a lot of these words when i was younger. I was reading adult books voraciously very young, hadnt heard the words and didnt understand the concepts.
I remember mispronouncing words, but cant think of any now that i do that with. More embarrassing was asking what stuff means and having the question avoided.

I’d like to note that COLONEL smoothie started this thread, good luck with that word if you haven’t heard it first.

Also, any of you city slickers like Worcestershire sauce on their grilled squirrel, maybe with a side of quinoa, or is it a rural thing? I remember having it out on the Madison isthmus under the stars with a nice draught beer, in my younger and more mischievous days.

Yeah, credit to Mary Louise Kelly for getting me through that one.

1 Like

of course, the hard t is in the middle

once i saw a meme

Dont make fun of someone that mispronounces a word. it means they read.

3 Likes

Both of the top Tour de France riders this year have names that don’t sound like they look.

Pogacar and Vingegaard

If you don’t know how they are supposed to sound, try to guess and then go look it up. You’re in for a surprise imo.

It’s sest la veyay, right?

The correct pronunciation of their first names, Tadej and Jonas, aren’t a whole lot easier to guess either!

Yeah, I’m not letting 4 singing females waxing on about trying to attract a boy in a video that looks like it could have been shot in 2 takes max tell me how to pronounce foreign phrases. I’ll do my own research, thanks.

1 Like

This is the one I was originally trying to find!!! :+1:

I’ve always said it the “American” way. Now I have to rethink how pretentious I want to be.

My mother pronounces croissant the French way and borderline acts like she doesn’t know what you mean if you say it the American way. Which is very French of her.

She does the same thing with LaCroix, which I keep explaining is in Minnesota and the beverage company is based in Wisconsin. It’s arguably appropriate for croissants but not for LaCroix.

She puts a French spin on my non-French last name too. No, she’s not French herself, just a Francophile.