If you could travel for 3 weeks anywhere (after the pandemic), where would you go?

When I was out of commission for a month last fall (hospitalised at first, then out of commission with a virus that never generated a positive COVID test result)…I wasn’t “gone” even though my productivity took a hit.

Such is both an advantage and disadvantage of telework.

Aspen, Great Barrier reef; I like skiing and scuba diving.

Rolla, MO.

Anywhere??

I’d like to go to the moon. 3 days there, 3 days back, 2 weeks there - no jet lag due to time zone issues.

Where do I sign up for this offer???

The moon? I don’t know… I hear it just lacks a certain atmosphere.

Norway. I’ve been before but it wasn’t long enough.

1 Like

That’s what she said. :wink:

Don’t you have a corporate rule that you have to take a ninimum 2 week vacation every year?

This is to avoid the risk of fraud.

I can work from anywhere, but last year the company put a block on people working longer-term from outside the UK when not on vacation.

Lots of people left to sunnier climates to avoid UK lockdowns, which then could have tax implications for the company (as well as the employee).

I would probably visit Azores. It was on my travel liat but then the UK put Portugal on the red (hotel quarantine) list. Ended up cancelling that trip for the Iceland trip this June.

I know bank employees do, I never heard of it at insurance. possibly in a position where you actually influence where funds flow

Ohh, Norway would be cool too. Would love to see all of Scandanavia.

What kind of “fraud” can arise by not taking two weeks in a row away from work?

I get like 15 days PTO, 3 or 5 “sick days” and two “floating holidays.” If I ever use like 8 of those non-sick days in a year it’s a lot. I usually wind up taking 1 or 2 sick days a year.

We can roll over 5 days, but in the next year, the first days you used are the banked days.

Financial worker computer programmers take two consecutive weeks so their systems can be audited

Yeah I think that’s more of a traders thing

Good thing I’m not a financial worker computer programmer. I’d go batty with two weeks and noting to do.

I would golf my way around the UK

I have never worked at a company where folks were required to take vacation.

Hell, it’s been at least 10 years since I had formal tracking “vacation” or PTO; I’ve been on “self-managed time” since then.

The company has other provisions in place if they need to poke around my computers or files.

Yeah, people who directly control money or the computer systems that control money often need to do that. I’ve never heard of an actuary being required to take a block of vacation. Nor can i think if any reason such a rule would help a company.

Also, any fraud i could manage to do (which wouldn’t involved cash, but…i dunno, bad reserving to get fake high profits to get a better bonus, maybe) wouldn’t be uncovered just because i was away for two weeks.

We watched a lot of Iceland TV series during lockdown and really liked Trapped and Case (Valhalla Murders was a bit formulaic). Looked like a beautiful country to visit. Have a good trip!