I don't get the Haitian crisis thing

makes for a forever political posturing issue for the non-ruling party. can always point to it and say ‘look how bad they are screwing up!’

… want to pay.

Which is a lot less than they would pay American born workers.
And, not nearly enough to pay for the public services the unskilled immigrants and their families will use (primarily education and health care).
And, the result is lower wages for all unskilled workers, including those who were born in the US and will need to rely more on government needs-based programs like Medicaid or SCHIP, for example.

So I say it is win-win-lose-lose.

2 Likes

in b4 CS: ‘be worth more or get used to making less’

I missed the part where he indicated that the reason it wouldn’t matter is because it’s a predominantly black nation.

If your point it that it was kind of dumb to accurately admit that Haiti is of little strategic importance to the US, fine, maybe that was tactless and a politician should know better.

If you can point me to him suggesting the reason it was of little importance was because it’s predominantly black, that would be different. But I strongly suspect he never said that because I suspect the real reason he said/thinks it is not strategically important is because their economy is in the toilet.

Being aware that their economy is in the toilet is not racist.

2 Likes

It’s just locker room talk. When you’re rich and powerful, they let you do it.

It never has to be said.

Well, pretty sure if we let them in the rest of us are gonna love all the new delicious Haitian restaurants popping up

I don’t see it.

Replace Haiti with The Philippines. Still don’t see the racism.

That’s not the part you’d have to replace before people see the racism.

which part do I need to replace? So it’s not about Haiti?

Racist: a comment about the strategic unimportance of a piece of land without ever once referring to the color of the skin of anyone there.

Not racist: talking about keeping those people out of our country

Definitely not racist: saying you want to keep them out to preserve white demographics in America.

3 Likes

I think it is funny how your responses are just getting more extreme. Like pretty soon Biden’s comment will be worse than slavery.

1 Like

I’ll leave that for Maxine Waters.

That’s racist.

2 Likes

Perfectly said.

Sorry, not everyone can come here as long as the concept of a nation-state exists. Bernie Sanders has this exact stance - higher standard of living for Americans specifically. All those other countries with even higher standards of living? Nope… can’t just walk into those either. Nation-states are a thing, and are here to stay.

I agree with very little of what he says (and I don’t think he’s trolling), but to be fair, your responses are pretty consistently standard Democrat party-line shill responses.

Hmmm… fun fact: in 2015, the Eu was in the midst of an overwhelming influx of refugees due to the Syrian , Iraqi, and Afghanistan wars. 10,000 arrivals each day. Angela Merkel made a famous speech, arguing the moral imperative that the refugees be assimilated. She met a train load of refugees at a railroad station along with a large crowd of Germans cheering the train as it delivered the immigrants.

Now, I realize that the Germans don’t have anything like a modern economy and they have a long history of high moral principles wrt humatarian compassion. But the USA could perhaps at least make an effort to do the “right” thing.

1 Like

And, how did that work out after the heady days of 2015?

I looked around for immigration statistics and got different numbers for the same countries from different sources.

This is one that claims the UN as a source:

Western industrial democracies, in which the proportion of immigrants generally ranges from 9% to 17%: Austria (17%), Sweden (16%), United States (15%), United Kingdom (13%), Spain (13%), Germany (12%), France (12%), the Netherlands (12%), Belgium (11%), and Italy (10%).

I can find other sources for Germany that are higher and for the US that are lower. But, the general idea that the US is uniquely unfriendly to immigrants isn’t supported by data.

Current US citizens also have the issue that they live with the after effects of slavery, 100 years of statutory Jim Crow, and more years of informal discrimination. We haven’t successfully integrated a big group of US born people into our society. That complicate immigration policy.

Moar immigrants plz

I don’t think he is trolling, I just see the heels digging in. Yes, I am sure I often do the same. Sometimes it is good to recognize that.