I don't get the Haitian crisis thing

It didn’t sound particularly racist to me. It seemed like it was selectively edited to include some stuff that was about race next to the bit about how Haiti was not strategically important to the US.

It was maybe a gaffe. We already knew he was prone to gaffes.

And I’d have to see the unedited clip to even decide for sure if it rises to the level of gaffe. I’m not convinced that it does, but it’s possible.

The stuff he said specifically about race was irrelevant to the racism he displayed when he said it wouldn’t matter if a predominantly black nation sunk into the ocean.

I don’t even understand what you just wrote. Punctuation would help, or maybe there’s a missing or extra word somewhere?

1 Like

He mentioned race in the clip. That was irrelevant.

He said it wouldn’t matter if a predominantly black nation sunk into the ocean. That’s racist.

If Haiti sunk into the ocean, I’m sure Lifeguard Joe could save everyone with his magical leg hairs. except maybe Corn Pop, he might let Corn Pop drown since he was a bad dude (or so I’ve been told)

He would have saved the ice cream first.

1 Like

to some extent, treating people like Sh*t when they try to enter America deters people from trying to enter America- and treating people like humans will attract more immigrants.

Its a tough sell to say that the US would benefit from taking in millions of impoverished central Americans. And the nicer we are to them, the more will come.

but its also a tough sell to beat, trample, starve, cage, separate, deport, and dehumanize people.

I mean the whole reason why they would come here in the first place is because people want to hire them. It’s win-win because the immigrants get jobs and contribute to our society and the employers get employees at a price they can afford. If there wasn’t this mutual benefit they wouldn’t be trying to get in.

This logic is not fully agreed upon…to say the least.

Some would argue they are coming here and making slums of our already poorest areas, taking advantage of the US welfare system, and increasing crime rates.

I have data to support this… but I, uh, left it in my car… ill brb. (car driving away sounds)

That’s not what he said. He said “If Haiti, a god awful thing to say, if Haiti just quietly sunk into the Caribbean or rose up 300 feet, it wouldn’t matter a whole lot in terms of our interest.”. As in it would be a bad thing to have happened but it would not be strategically significant to the US.

1 Like

And it was a terribly racist thing to say.

Not seeing it.

2 Likes

The last five words there are important. Maybe he could have said it in a way that was more sensitive, but on my outrage scale of 1-10, this is like a 1.9.

1 Like

The last five words are being quoted/shared out of context though. They were talking about American strategic interest in Haiti versus the Balkans. In that context it is a fair comment about the relevance of their geographical locations in those terms at the time.

The way it is being presented, it is as is the sentence came out of nowhere (and often omitting “a god awful thing to say”) rather than being a response to something said to him.

1 Like

I think I’m just going to go with
He didn’t say it.
If he said it, he didn’t mean it.
If he meant it, you just misunderstood the meaning.

I think that’s how it goes right?

2 Likes

Maybe I phrased that wrong, I was agreeing with you.

1 Like

Interesting.

I agree, that Biden is a racist dude.

being a dick <> being a racist. However, while they usually seem to correlate, I dont see it in this case.

1 Like

Yep. There is no good solution to immigration.