I am going to buy this (these) today and reasons why

reminds me of this:

I’m doing final checks on the itinerary, but I think I’m about to buy two $500 Southwest gift cards for $450 each from Costco. So that I can book flights to Maui this summer, my wife has been working a LOT this year and I think ten days on the beach is what she needs right now.

I have enough points for one round trip ticket, this will save $100 on the remaining two tickets. And enough points to cover the rental car and part of the lodging, yay cheap actuary vacation.

2 Likes

Recreations in the theory of numbers. For school. Basically a.book on fun math tricks i.think.

Again, not taking the Tesla??

Also, how long of a day is it for you to get to Maui?
Asking for a friend, who took 10 hours to get home from the middle of Mexico (1hr40m private car to airport, arriving 2 hours ahead, 3-hr flight to TJ, 40-minute walk over bridge through customs to car on USA side, 3.5hr drive home (short stop for food in Cardiff, friend says).
Just thinking that the longer it takes to get somewhere, the longer you should stay. Probably a formula for it, but the long way there and back was not worth the four-day trip.

Elon says ‘boat mode’ won’t be here until the fall. Sigh.

I don’t have a hard rule for travel time vs vacation time, but I’m not flying to Europe for a three day weekend. It’s roughly 11-14 hours of flight time for me to get to Maui depending on the connection and the direction. A real long day. I would roughly say the shortest trip I’d do here would be Saturday to Saturday. In this case I’m looking at 12-14 days.

Sounds like fun. I know someone there, if you needs some guidance or where there is good beer.
Can take to the DM for more info.

I see a SWA 7AM flight out of MCI to OGG, be on the beach by 2-ish local. One stop in Vegas. The way home will suck a day. SWA has no red-eyes, which I would prefer.

Would strongly consider flying from ORD non-stop. United is the only one. Peace of mind not worrying about connections. How to get to ORD? Hey, I’m not a travel agent!

I found some dates with slightly later flight times, 7AM is a hard sell for some people in this house.

United does (or did) have overnight flights and those were great.

Might hit you up for advice but this is our third trip so I’m practically a local. We will stay in Kihei, it’s a nice vibe for us.

I like Kihei and those surroundings. AirBnB for that long of a stay.
Haven’t been to Maui since The SOA Meeting in 1998. Since then, I missed my Maui contact’s wedding (saw it on the internet), and my brother and his fiancée were there planning their wedding, when they simply up and got married.

I prefer later flights, too (red-eyes are best for me, as I sleep), but for those very-early flights, I prefer staying close to the airport the night before.

Yep, we will do AirBnB or VRBO, except the last night we’ll stay at the Marriott by the airport.

Since you like driving, I assume you’ve done the road to Hana. We stayed in Hana for 2 nights, which was fun as the place empties out of tourists in the afternoon when everyone drives back.

We stayed in Kaanapali Beach for most of that trip. One of the better parts about that area was the sea turtles frequently munching on vegetation on rocks right on the shoreline. Got to enjoy seeing them up close.

We did the road to Hana. The right way to do it would be to do what you did and stay in Hana. It’s a long one day trip.

But my wife is never going on that road again. Remember the A Team, they always had to drug Mr T or knock him out to get on a plane? That’s what I’d have to do to get my wife on that road.

3 Likes

Cool and gift cards finally won out and I bought the bass.

2 Likes

Maybe there’s a market here. For international flights skip the food and movie screens. Instead just drug everyone, and when they wake up they have arrived. You can arrive in a special airport lounge or pay extra for first class and get delivered to your hotel and tucked into bed. No discomfort or annoyance that you’re next to the fat person or the child.

Is it all about that bass??

They did this on “Mission: Impossible” a few times.

Lol. Not that bass. It has a very bright tone and is most known for things along the lines of Glen Campbell’s deep twangy solos on Wichita Lineman and Galveston, spaghetti western music, etc, although you can play more traditionally bass-y stuff on it.

Loved his music, and this song in particular.

Wanted some hot pink sneakers (Nike rarely ever makes hot pink sneakers for men) so I bought these today. This is a Nike collaboration with the Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Portland. They have kids receiving cancer treatment at the hospital design shoes and then sell them with proceeds going to the hospital.

4 Likes

Just in time for Pride Month!
Good on you!

it is up and fully functional. come on over this weekend!

5 Likes