I am going to buy this (these) today and reasons why

Needs a little bit of TLC (not visible in this picture) but I bought this today.

11 Likes

Austin?
Ah. MG.

1960 or so MGA 1600?

Cute. I don’t know anything about cars but that looks nice.

Seller says 1960, Hagerty says 1959 based on VIN. Yes to the rest, MGA 1600.

It is my starter classic.

1 Like

Got a new(er) car the other day. Dropped my old one off to investigate a concerning engine noise. Turned out that the engine basically needed to be rebuilt. :grimacing: So after talking with J2 and Jaspbrother, I decided to trade up. I feel gross for having a bigger payment now (and because with no leverage I probably got hosed). But the new(er) one has advantages to it.

Noice.
I’ve had two 50-60’s era cars. Both were catastrophes.
I had a 1961 olds f-85. Car was MINT. Like 50k miles on it. Everything was original and working.
Bastard that sold it to me blew the engine between the time I test drove it and the time I picked it up. Money, gone.In retrsopect I should’ve restored the engine, don’t recall why I didn’t.

then I had a buick super. The front grill was wild. Took it to my mechanic, he put it on the lift and said ‘that’s what I call restored-needs restoring’. I sold that one as a parts car.

What kind of TLC are we talking? Can’t tell too much from one photo, the body looks clean and I don’t see any rust, the chrome appears to be in order (bonus points for the luggage rack).

I love old cars, maybe once I get my old house in order I’d consider buying one. My daily driver for five years in the late 90s and early 2000s was a 1966 Ford Galaxie, it was super fun to own and I learned so much about how cars work.

Be sure to let us know the first time you get bloody trying to fix something, lol.

1 Like

It’s English, so, new wiring, I’m guessing. New engine, new floor, new suspension, new transmission, …

That reminds me, I used to love… I can’t recall if it was Tom or Ray, one of the Car Talk guys had an MG TD he used to talk about.

friday saturday I drained the winter water from our above ground pool. it’s an intex 20’x 10’ x 4’. was cleaning it out and it was fully empty. . on track to have it full and ready by end of weekend.mrs f said “hey, i thought we said we’d get the new bigger round one this year.”

picked it up monday at 9am. 20’ round, 52" deep. monday noon started taking apart rectangle. re-levelling the larger area. assembling. done at 7PM (with some neighbor help for needed muscle). a small adjustment today to get underliner pushed under an edge that had overshot the provided underliner and we are filling today. I am sore as heck all over.

so to the thread title: larger above ground pool and wife wanted it.

2 Likes

I’ve been all wishy washy about buying a Squier Bass VI guitar. I put it in the cart last night, but didn’t pull the trigger. One of the main motivations of buying it is that I’ve been given some Guitar Center gift cards and I want to spend them before Guitar Center goes into bankruptcy and the cards become worthless, which I think is expected again pretty soon. It’s the only thing I could think of that I’m really interested in right now. But 1) the gift cards wouldn’t cover the whole cost, so I’d be spending some cash on it too 2) it’s very much a “specialty” instrument and if it got regular use, it would be just to be weird and different 3) the quality, as delivered, has been reported to be abysmal, so it would end up as a project, and I really don’t need another project right now 4) It’s kind of big and heavy and I’ve been moving toward small and light 5) I’ve really been trying to cut down.

OK, that’s a lot of reasons why not. The why is because it would be cool. And I’ve got some gift cards.

2 Likes

Could very well be that the seller was told that it was purchased new in 1960 where the source could’ve not been savvy enough to realize that model year doesn’t always correspond to the year when it was purchased new.

I would go with the VIN info to determine its model year.

IIRC, I believe it was Clack that had that car.

1 Like

Why?

You forgot that part . . . or did I miss it in an earlier post?

Ha!

Overall in decent condition. The TLC is needed to get it into pristine condition. A few interior repairs are needed, but an entire new interior refurb kit was included (in tan) so I’ll probably just redo the whole thing and will need to replace the soft top to match. Exterior has some paint issues in a couple of different places. I don’t know yet if that means a touch up or I’ll eventually want to strip it down and repaint the entire body. I didn’t experience it, but the prior owner says it occasionally has issues starting when it is cold out - so that will clearly need to investigating at some point.

Overall it looks good and runs well so I can putter around in it without doing anything, while having a few projects to work on over time.

I did forget it. I bought it because I have wanted to get an MG, preferably an A. They are reasonably priced and relatively easy to work on so they are generally considered good starter classic cars. Plus I like the look of the A. This will be a fun project to work on (with my wife no less) and to drive.

1 Like

Ordered some beef back ribs online because good ones are hard to find locally and I like them. I need to locate a local butcher willing to sell them.

The big grocery stores often have them, but usually most of the meat between the bones has been carved out. Those aren’t worth buying IMO.

Oh, that’s not bad at all. You can likely do at least most of the interior yourself, might need some hog ring pliers and what-not. Paint is hard, I painted my Galaxie - well, I stripped it to the metal and did the primer, then paid a pro to spray the paint, it was a LOT of work. I think it’s a great starter car, nothing too major needed, although it’s old so there is something that’ll break and you’ll learn something trying to fix it, lol.

New York Butcher Shoppe?
Buckhead Butcher Shop?
Frazies?

Buckhead Butcher shop didn’t have them the last time I went there. They are also crazy expensive for most items. Nice folks and good products, but too much of a markup for me.

NY Butcher Shoppe had a location near me that changed hands. It’s now Midtown Butcher Shoppe and they don’t have them. The other location of NY Butcher Shoppe isn’t too convenient, and they don’t show that they have them in their online listing of meat cuts

I don’t know Frazies

I plan to visit this shop soon, which is a good bet because it’s a joint venture between the farm and the butcher. They ought to have some flexibility for custom orders as a result.

I plan to try these guys too as it’s convenient and they advertise being a whole animal butcher