I am going to buy this (these) today and reasons why

It’s not going into a Housecleaner, is it???

Ooooh I was envisioning one of those $50 kits I’ve seen. Makes more sense now.

I’m considering buying the Knipex pliers wrench, anybody got a pair, or ever used them? I have pliers and channel locks and wrenches, and these wouldn’t replace them. I’d keep these in the house as a sort of jack-of-all-trades tool if I’m just doing an odd job. The ones below have smooth jaws and are kind of aimed at plumbers, they have some ‘cobra’ versions with teeth in the jaws and I might prefer those.

When I first heard about these they looked kind of gimmicky, but a lot of pros absolutely swear by them.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Knipex-86-03-180-7-1-4-Chrome-Pliers-Wrench?srsltid=AYJSbAfEo_G6I1dj5lerY12ZUxyzAQ8oREXBuRLlIiWsVSJWRfjeHqxbIZc

That’s just an adjustable wrench, right? I’ve never heard of that brand, but I have a wrench that looks like that. So did my dad. I use it somewhat frequently, when I don’t know exactly what size wrench I need.

Yeah, they work fine. Mine has teeth in the jaws.

Sort of. There is a button you press to adjust how wide the jaw opens. And the mechanism is on a sort of cam instead of a simple lever.

So while it is comparable to channel locks it is a bit nicer. This might be something I put on my Christmas list. I don’t need it, and I might not want to spend $50 on fancy pliers, but I’d appreciate having these.

Hmm. That sounds fussier to use and more likely to break than the simple channel lock version.

That’s why I dismissed it at first. But tons of plumbers seem to love these tools. I figure that says a lot about how durable/reliable they are.

I’m on r/plumbing, in case you wonder where I’m getting feedback from plumbers.

It looks to be the evil crossbreed of a Channel-lock and Crescent.

Our his and hers sewing machines came in today!

1 Like

People may be asking themselves, well, what is space lobster going to make? When the better question is what am I NOT going to make. Flannel sheets, custom gun socks for my scoped rifles, upland hunting pants…

pretty soon you’ll be ready for this!

5 Likes

I bought all this. The laptop just arrived. The big hard drive has been shipped. The cables to connect everything should be shipped today. The zip ties to tidy up after i run the cables through my monitor arm arrived last night, when we were out.

1 Like

So I decided to buy these bulbs for the overhead light in my bedroom. They hum. Gonna replace them soon. Probably with the 3000K Cree’s lying around.

Are they on a dimmer?

Yes
And the dimmer worked with the Cree bulbs. The ones I had are too “blue”, and I want something warmer for the bedroom, but they didn’t hum, and they dimmed fine.

Dimmer switches are the worst with LED. I have two identical dimmers from House of Antique Hardware. One works totally fine with LEDs (and they are supposed to be LED compatible). One has a terrible flicker and I had to put incandescent bulbs in it.

I’ve had similar issues with Lutron dimmers. Ugh. I don’t know how you win. I have a spare dimmer I’m gonna swap in when I have time to see if I can swap the dining room back to LED.

The electrician who fished the wire to create a ceiling light installed the dimmer, and i didn’t look carefully, so I’m not sure what the brand is. It looks just like the lutron dimmer switches i bought.

I’ve had other LEDs flicker, but this is the first time I’ve been bothered by a hum.

My hair is currently this: Erika Wig by Amore | Double Monofilament – Wigs.com

I love the way it looks, I’ve gotten compliments on it, including from the (straight? :frowning_face:) woman I have a crush on, but it’s a bit too tight. I was told in a wig consult that that brand runs small and that a couple others would fit better.

So I’m looking at Straight Up With a Twist Wig by Raquel Welch | Lace Front – Wigs.com and Camilla Wig by Jon Renau | Double Monofilament Top – Wigs.com

Anyone have opinions?

I like the Straight Up with a Twist better. Looking at the pictures of regular people in the reviews, it looks consistently great, while the other one sometimes hangs funny.

They both look like they’d get in your eyes more than your current “do”, which I really like. But the straight up with a twist looks like it would be in your face all the time. That would drive me up a wall. But only you know if you’d be okay with that.