I am going to buy this (these) today and reasons why

Selling cookies leads to more straight donations though, so it’s not an either/or. We get a lot of people who say that they don’t want any cookies, but here’s $20 for the troop. Those donations wouldn’t happen otherwise.

It probably varies by council, but our troop gets at least $0.75 per box. It doesn’t end there though because another chunk of money goes to the service unit to fund activities in a particular region and another chunk goes to GS USA and that’s used to fund scholarships to camp for scouts who otherwise couldn’t afford to go, maintaining GS properties, etc. So, only talking about the troop-level proceeds makes it seem worse than it really is.

1 Like

Right. I hear a lot of people saying “I would rather just donate to _________.” But they generally DON’T donate to that cause.

Same with the companies that have philanthropy as part of their gimmick. Toms shoes comes to mind. Would your money go a lot further by just giving even a quarter of the cost of those shoes to the same cause? Undoubtedly. Are you going to donate to that cause without the feelgoodery of the gimmick? Probably not.

1 Like

I might not always donate to that cause, but I do tithe to causes that I select.

2 Likes

Smartwool socks arrived and I’m wearing a pair. I don’t find them itchy. In fact, if I didn’t know they were wool I’d never guess it. And the seams are well-constructed so they won’t rub my toes. Not bad.

Darn Tough socks are on the way, the ones that I ordered turned out not to be in stock so I had to pick an alternate sock, and they shipped those yesterday.

I never thought I’d care about socks, but here we are.

3 Likes

I’m curious, what brand of golf polo and t-shirts do you like?

Cross-post insignificant signals @Breadmaker

3 Likes

My polos are expensive, but I try to buy on sale. They are made by Greyson Clothiers. My tee shirts are cheap as they are mainly made as blanks for screen printing. They are Comfort Colors. Clothingshoponline.com has a ton of different blanks for sale individually for great prices. For tee shirts I prefer cotton and at least 6 oz fabric.

I think I get the same t-shirts as you. Bought a ton of them because they are nice and soft and cheap when you buy in bulk. I’ll check out the polos, thanks!

1 Like

I’ve been staring at gaming laptops. My current laptop is ~4 years old, was a refurb, and now has some broken ports and pad and I don’t know. It’s fine though, so I feel weird about replacing it!

I’m staring at this one:

Which is the cheapest available laptop for the GPU. Also thunderbolt and more SSD space.

The one weird thing is that it has a slow screen refresh rate (60hz). But I guess I can plug in, if I ever get a fast monitor. It’s not technically a gaming laptop at all, then again, I’m not sure if I’m technically a gamer.

Been getting some DSG (Dicks Sporting Goods house brand) long sleeve tees and sweatshirts this past year too. They have really nice french terry sweaters and heavy cotton (7.5oz) long sleeve tees. They have been running sales almost every single weekend lately so I have gotten 4 sweaters and 4 long sleeve tees all for $12 or less in some great colors.

2 Likes

My wife was like “mail-in-rebate eh?”

Which convinced me to buy a different slightly more expensive laptop.

Darn Tough socks initial impression: 10/10, the perfect sock.

2 Likes

I bought a Smartwool balaclava, and decided to also get a Smartwool layering jacket for my motorcycle rides.

Mmm, baklava.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t know, I’m allergic, but it looks decent.

If you are allergic to walnuts/pistachios, I recommended trying the alternate version. If you are allergic to both, honey, or wheat Ive got nothing for you

I have an allergy to most tree nuts, so both walnuts and pistachios. But I also think all nuts and legumes other than peanuts (which I’m not allergic to) are disgusting anyway.

I would try a version of baklava without any nuts, but that doesn’t seem common.

A peanut version would be good but you’d probably have to make it yourself

Google is failing me but there is a specific name for a Greek pastry that is essentially baklava without the nuts. As a teenager I would buy them at the local Greek Orthodox Church’s annual festival.

Technically baklava has nuts (Greek has walnuts; Turkish has pistachios.) But… if you Google “nut free baklava”, even though that’s not an actual thing, you will get tons of hits with recipes.

1 Like

Balaclava, one of my favorite Arctic Monkeys songs