I am going to buy this (these) today and reasons why

I bought one of those fitness trackers, mostly because I thought it would be interesting to monitor heart rate. It does lots of other things too, but I typically have my phone with me so that already covers distance pretty well.

I got it yesterday so I am playing with it some this morning. I knew it monitored sleep patterns, but I wasn’t worried about that as I have good sleep habits. It’s still interesting to see the details.

1 Like

Last night’s sleep report below. I fell asleep within a few minutes of going to bed, and almost immediately went into deep sleep. That sounds typical. You can see when my wife came to bed and I woke for a minute or so. I then slept straight through. I woke up briefly at 8a and thought about getting up, but slept another hour.

1 Like

Is REM where you dream? If so then I don’t want no light or deep sleep. Keep me in REM

1 Like

Yes. According to the fitness app, men my age are in REM sleep 15-25% of the night. I was 23% last night.

The only area where I was outside of norms was time awake. I was awake 7% vs 12-24% benchmark. 24% sounds awful to me.

I hate lying in bed awake and I don’t think my fitbit nor Apple Watch tracks that very well. For example, I woke at 4, got up briefly and went back to bed. I tried to lie still but I did not sleep. According to Apple Watch I slept another 30ish minutes. I suppose after that it knew I wasn’t sleeping bc I was messing with my phone.

You have your phone in the bedroom?

These days it’s my alarm clock, weather radio, and communication device if I hear a burglar enter my house, so I want it by me at all times.

2 Likes

I need to revive my FitBit sleep tracker - I like that thing but I was too lazy to charge it.

An update on my Dino-Sours order: I ordered these on Amazon on March 18th and the Dino-Sours were never delivered (I just got the refund today). I ordered them again 2 days ago and I think I might get the bag today. I AM SO READY.

1 Like

MY DINO-SOURS ARE DELAYED AGAIN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

3 Likes

Yes. My phone is also my alarm clock and I’m paranoid that my parents/family might have some emergency and not be able to reach me at night.

Do most people NOT have their phone in the bedroom?

Last night the sleep app caught me “talking in my sleep”. Only it was when the alarm went off and I think I said “where’s my phone” or something. So not as interesting as actual talking in my sleep.

I think the snoring it has been catching is Mr aj, since I’ve been using the CPAP.

It did not seem to pick up on the fact that I got up to use the bathroom. Maybe bc mr aj was snoring?

1 Like

Did it hear “the secrets that you keep”?

7 Likes

I liked the sleep tracker, but it uses a light that can get annoying when it catches you or your partner in the face while moving around.

My phone is charging on silent at night with an alarm set for the next morning.

I occasionally use something called “SnoreLab”. It pretty much only records your snoring…or your spouse/partner snoring…or your dog snoring.

I used to use something called “Sleep Cycle”. You set your alarm & when it gets close to time to wake up it monitors when you’re in a light-phase of your sleep & produces a gentle alarm then. It also gives you a “score” of how well you slept.

Neither of them have an annoying light. Place your phone face-down if necessary. It only uses sound…afaik.

I don’t have a phone in the bedroom. If my parents/family have an emergency and call me and I’m unable to hear the ringer (which I almost certainly will), they’ll just have to deal with it themselves. There’s no emergency that can’t wait a few hours.

I’ve also never had a TV in the bedroom (by my choice - there was one when I was married but I didn’t like watching it). I recently removed the laptop from the bedroom too, except for when it comes back in during clothes folding times. I’ve found removing electronics from the bedroom to be a very healthy improvement for my sleep and emotional status as well.

No phone in the bedroom. I’m asleep. If it’s not urgent, leave a message. If it’s an emergency, call 911.

This!

Plus both my wife and I have moron friends who send texts at ungodly hours. So, keeping the phones in the other room is a must.

We have an alarm clock on each side of the bed, just in case we have staggered waking times that day. (Plus, it’s easier for her to see her clock than to see over my body in the middle of the night (and vice versa))

I like using my phone as an alarm clock and for emergency weather notifications. I have both the ringer and audible notifications for text messages turned off though. I haven’t ever had a tv in my bedroom, and I like it that way.

1 Like

I “turn off” notifications when I don’t want my phone to be an intrusion.

It has “vibrate only” and “silence” modes.

1 Like

I like using my phone as an alarm clock, and back in the day, I also glanced at it on snowy mornings to see if I had to go into the office or if I could roll over and go back to sleep. I also either play a game on my phone or read on my kindle right before I sleep. I find it helps separate me from the day’s stuff.

I’ve never had a TV in the bedroom, but I sometimes use my “travel laptop” in tablet mode and watch netflix in bed, especially if my husband wants to watch something different on the TV. (Yes, we only have one actual TV.)

My phone knows when I am usually asleep, and mutes almost all alerts during those times. I think if you call me twice in a row, it will ring? I dunno, it’s never happened.

I almost never have trouble sleeping, and when I do, it’s either too much caffeine or something hurts. So I don’t worry a lot about sleep hygiene.