I am going to buy this (these) today and reasons why

My fancy chocolates arrived. They are delicious. But they aren’t as much fun as the Recchuiti box, and next time I want to buy myself a present, I will probably get those again. Or possibly the Burdick, or something I don’t yet know about. I’m glad I got these, though, and I look forward to slowly consuming them over the next couple of weeks.

1 Like

Last time my parents had an emergency was pretty late at night and my dad had been in a wreck between where he lives and where I live. His car was totaled and he needed to be picked up. He didn’t need to wait until a more reasonable time for that. It turned out my sister was able to get him but I would have if she couldn’t.

In one of my apps—not sure if it’s the sleep app or apple watch—I was able to select which calls I can receive during my sleep time. I put my sisters and my parents. Also my son-in-law. My daughters might forget that I actually sleep at night but if my son-in-law called I know it would be an emergency.

I did not have a tv in my room for most of my adult life and I hardly ever watch tv at night, but it was nice to have when I had Covid and couldn’t move.

1 Like

I’ve almost always had a TV in the bedroom. We usually watch a little TV before we finally turn in for the night. It’s a habit now. Sometimes it’s 5-10 mins or sometimes we watch a show until 11.

I keep my phone by my bed, as it is my alarm clock, etc. However, I have some automation set up (Tasker + a sleep tracking app), that put my phone in do not disturb mode automatically when I go to sleep (also turning out lights, setting the alarm system, and triggering backup jobs on the computer).

When I stop my alarm in the morning, Tasker turns off do not disturb, etc.

Lately, I’ve gotten in the habit of putting on a YouTube video, usually of someone playing Cities Skylines, to fall asleep to.

Well glad Nike members have 30 day returns because Nike released these AF1’s in grey yesterday. Time for a switch out. I like these better.

1 Like

My last several Androids have had let me set a “sleep time”, and give me options as to what can disturb that. I think the only things I let send alarms are the alarm clock app and “a known number calls me twice in a row”.

I gave up on Tasker ages ago – does that still work? I wonder if I should pick it up again.

It works, although the Android OS has done its darnedest to nerf some functionality in the interest of security.

I mostly use it to make send commands to my Hue hub or IFTTT, to send text messages under certain circumstances (e.g. let my wife know when I transit certain airports, or pass by certain waypoints on my 5-hour commute), to make certain verbal announcements, or to auto-mute/auto-unmute my phone in certain locations (doctors offices, church).

I used to use it to auto-enable/disable WiFi, control a VPN, and a few other things…but that’s no longer easily possible.

I buy a fair amount of antiques. For some time I’ve had my eye on buying an old phonograph but couldn’t quite find the right one. Today I managed to buy a tabletop model from, I think, 1902-1905.

3 Likes

Thats really cool. If you come across a really old bronze or silver cash register let me know.

This week I need to buy clothes. I’ve been going to Kohls the past few weeks and getting ideas for my polo selection, shorts and other casual stuff. I don’t buy myself clothes all too often. I seriously need a woman to help dress me.

1 Like

I tried to buy a nice NCR from 1907, but it had some local historical value and it went for a lot more than I was willing to pay. I will keep my eyes peeled.

The turntable in my microwave stopped turning. Microwave was new-ish when we bought the house almost 8 years ago, so it is at least 8, maybe older.

It is not cooking my breakfast evenly, which is unacceptable. Part will be still frozen and part grossly overcooked.

I’m not sure what the life expectancy of a microwave is these days, but I’m assuming that there’s not much point in attempting to repair an 8-plus year-old microwave.

So I’m researching microwaves. Also, the microwave is a little big for the space, so hopefully I can find one that fits a little better.

Yes, you need a new nuke box. We’re a dispose and replace society. 8 years is ancient. Don’t repair.

In the short term, you may get passable results by setting it for longer times at fractional power. Like triple the time at 1/3 power.

I do 70% power for nearly everything as that yields better results than 100% power and is still pretty dang fast.

But I gotta have a working turntable!

About 5 years ago a plastic piece in the turntable broke. The turning mechanism inside the microwave was still turning, it just wasn’t making the plastic turn with it. I was able to repair it by simply supergluing the broken plastic back together. Simple, and bought another 5 years. But now the internal turning mechanism isn’t turning. So at a minimum the entire microwave would have to be disassembled. That’s more than I’m willing to take on and it seems unlikely that a repairman could even fix it at all, let alone fix it for less than the cost of a new one.

I’m a big fan of the Panasonic inverter microwaves. They modulate the power rather than cycling on and off at the lower power settings so they cook more uniformly.

We have the Panasonic Home Chef 4-in-1 thing that also air fries and bakes and broils and gently massages your buttocks. I do recommend it if you want all of that functionality, otherwise a lesser Panasonic would do.

1 Like

Yeah, I think I want to upgrade to the air fryer kind since I don’t have an air fryer.

Where did you get yours? Is it a countertop one?

We have a special shelf for the microwave in our cabinets, but it’s not truly “built in”… we need a countertop variety.

Pretty sure we got ours from Amazon. Mine is a counter top because we have exactly the same setup, a shelf for the microwave so we can’t use a built in unit.

Do look up the dimensions, and see how big your shelf is. Because of the oven and air fryer it produces more heat than a regular microwave and Panasonic recommends having something like an inch or two of space all the way around it.

Other than that… it’s kind of complicated to use, but after a few months it gets pretty easy.

1 Like

$530 at Best Buy… Not a recommendation, just a data point.

1 Like

I had a built-in microwave / convection oven in a former house and loved it.

I think this is the microwave I want. Best Buy website says 17 5/7 inches deep, which is the tricky dimension for our shelf.

(Who measures sevenths of an inch???)

I might just put the order in now based partly on my research and partly on your recommendation.

Thanks!!!

You can cheat the depth a bit, the legs sit like 2” behind the front panel so if it’s close and you don’t mind it sticking out 5/7” of an inch or whatever, it will allow it.