Hunter Biden Investigation

I don’t think this is quite right. I think that somehow in their mind Hunter = Joe, since they’re “Biden”, or something like that

The aggravating part of all this: all high ranked politicos have family that make money off their positions. It’s not illegal. Who gives a crap about Hunter? Hunter is not the problem. If you find nepotism offensive, then how about making it illegal. Cuz while you can investigate Hunter, it’s ultimately not illegal.

During the height of the war in Afghanistan, U.S. military leaders flocked to the Caspian Sea nation of Azerbaijan to embrace its president, Ilham Aliyev, despite a report from the U.S. Embassy comparing the mustachioed strongman to mafia bosses in “The Godfather.”

Setting aside concerns about Azerbaijan’s culture of corruption, Pentagon officials persuaded Aliyev to open his country’s borders and airspace to critical U.S. and NATO supply routes to Afghanistan. In exchange, U.S. officials promised a closer diplomatic partnership with Aliyev and steered $369 million in defense contracts to Silk Way Airlines, an Azerbaijan cargo carrier that U.S. investigators say was controlled by the government.

Two U.S. Air Force generals — Duncan McNabb and William Fraser III — who oversaw the supply routes from 2008 to 2014 later tried to cash in on their Azerbaijan connections. Upon retiring from active duty, the four-star generals negotiated valuable consulting deals with Silk Way Airlines, according to documents obtained by The Washington Post under the Freedom of Information Act. One of them stood to earn $5,000 a day.

It’s all over the place, people.

Here is my problem with the current state of politics. The title of this op-ed says it all. Both parties are guilty, but shouldn’t we all want to get rid of corruption period. The fact that both parties are only interested in discussing and investigating the other parties corruption is 100% of the problem in America right now.

Yes, that is a problem.
OTOH, I’d rather have them taking turns investigating each other than having an agreement that neither side ever gets investigated.

5 Likes

Cold comfort.

I’d rather they investigated each other than sending the military against the public. You offer a truly bleak fork in the road. We should aim higher.

At the end of the day, NP has it right. We are facing some pretty sticky problems and here we are doing nothing in Congress to address the issues we all know exist.

Agreed. Every election has become vote us in, we’ll get those other folks and make them pay for how they governed the last term.

Holding the administration accountable is always going to be a midterm election theme. The effectiveness of this is also going to be a function of how corrupt Americans view the administration.

Trump made this an easy theme to run on. It was not an effective theme against Biden. If anything, it probably hurt Republicans more than it helped them. They had the gift of inflation to run against, but spent too much time talking about retaliatory investigations against Biden.

1 Like

Republicans had the gifts of Inflation, Southern border, Afghanistan withdrawal, …
The Republican candidates who lost spent too much time talking about the “rigged” 2020 election results.

2 Likes

And then on top of that, Trump’s response to each failed candidate was basically “well, they sucked anyway, so.” :neutral_face:

2022 was all about rejecting one-party rule, but also rejecting the notion that Trumpism is the only alternative.

1 Like

Hopefully the loyalty of the Trumpkins remaining in Congress is fading now that they see how he treats their compatriots. Even JD Vance, who won, was treated terribly by Trump.

I’m sure they will mostly disappoint me in the 2024 election, especially if Trump wins the Republican nomination, but one can hope.

Trumpkinism starts at home.

Who taught you how to do this stuff?
YOU ALRIGHT! I learned it by watching YOU!

4 Likes

Thinking more about the peoples in their districts/states who vote them in.

But RN!

You could have said the same thing 2, 4, 6 years ago. As long as the not-really-Trumpkins keep supporting him, the Trumpkins will remain vocal and strong. Despite the media having said their influence is waning (and having said that for the past x years), I see no signs of that changing. Mitch and Ted and all the rest are still gonna sit next to them and support them. The ones who wouldn’t do that have already left congress years ago and have no influence at all.

4 Likes

Ted Cruz is one thing. Mitch McConnell hates Trump and its there for anyone to see. He’s been very consistent about calling out stupid cr*p that will hurt the R party. He’s just not willing to go to war with Trump and hand the D’s filibuster proof control of government.

1 Like

I would agree with that. To the extent that McConnell and Trump agree on issues they successfully used one another to get stuff done, but it’s fair to say that they don’t like each other.

It was disappointing, but not surprising, that McConnell didn’t vote to impeach Trump. I was hopeful that, especially given his age, he might decide to stand up and do the right thing for once with the idea that he wouldn’t run for re-election in 2026 anyway. But he obviously didn’t go that route which is cowardly IMO, but again, unsurprising.

He has certainly always been very clear that Biden/Harris won the election and that Trump’s actions on January 6 were wrong.

Laughable. At every opportunity he voted to support Trump. Every vote.

And what stuff got done? Ax break, which we are paying for now with the inevitable inflation? Or do you revel in SC nominations - which is all McC, not even a bit of Trump.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I even consider McConnell a person, so much as the living embodiment of the GOP.

His relationship to Trump is just the aggregate Republican relationship to Trump.

Sure. The Tax Break triggered inflation not the overaggressive stimulus. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Well, both have contributed. Throw more money into an economy now (without a plan to repay), money is cheap relative to goods, so inflation.
Don’t need an Econ degree to agree with that.
Yes, same for however the student loan relief is (not) funded.

2 Likes