House of the Dragon (no spoilers)

The best line was from the after show recap. “It’s all fun and games until someone loses an eye.”

I was confused by (apparent} the ending of Laenor. I thought Daemon was paying Ser Qarl to kill Laenor. But he was actually paying Ser Qarl to fake Laenor’s death? I wasn’t sure if the idea to fake the death was Daemon’s or Qarl’s, but after watching it over and over, Daemon is they guy killing a red shirt nobody to have a body to burn, so it seems that it was Daemon’s idea after all.

Questions I ended with after all the weddings and funerals were over.

Why wasn’t Daemon all up in Aemond’s business about stealing his wife’s/daughter’s dragon? (Mr Otto was ecstatic over his side now having a dragon like Vhagar, so you would think that Mr Daemon would realize what a freaking loss that is for his side of the family)

Why was Laenor willing to go along with this banishment, other than to save money on shampoo?

1 Like

The dragons so far in the show is cool, but I feel like I’m left with a lot of questions like why on earth is this person doing/caring about this

1. Gets to live.
  2. Gets to live with Qarl.

Well, maybe now Daemon’s daughter will get to bond with Laenor’s dragon.

Gotta earn it.

One-Eye Aemond didn’t earn it. He just walked up and took it.

He earned it by not getting fried.
Like “the wand chooses the wizard” in HP.

2 Likes

Not really loving the time jumps and changes in actors/actresses. I think part of what makes a show great is being able to connect to the person portraying their character. Having ~1/2 a season with actors/actresses makes that very difficult.

Then again, GoT has a history of not keeping characters around longer, outside of a select few, so maybe I’m being a big baby.

1 Like

Nah, you’re not being a baby. The issue is that the “history” this comes from is about 20 pages long (with illustrations – only counting this particular history).
Also, I think if they are going to end this they way they expected – after only one season – then they really had to rush things. They really should have sold this as two or three seasons. Could have added so much more that wasn’t in the book, as is their wont.
But, they should really put date stamps on each episode. maybe a Star-Wars-ish crawler.

I like the idea of date stamps. I’d be fine with location stamps as well.

1 Like

Yeah I must say, the time jumps and actor changes have put me off a bit. I’ve been watching GoT regularly as it comes out and fallen off a bit with watching Lotr but I think I’ll look to follow that one more closely than I have been

I’m sure there are some Tolkien purists that hate the show but I think it’s been great so far. The visuals are easily the best of any show/movie I’ve ever seen. RoP >> HotD, IMO

2 Likes

Anyone else rooting for Rhaenyra/Daemon and feeling a little icky about it?

Not sure if I should be impressed or weirded out that the showrunners were able to do that.

Not sure what you mean by “able to do that.” It’s in the source material.
Again, the source material, documenting Viserys I through the next two heads (not spoiling the gender) of Westeros, is only 20 pages long, but nearly every event (except one, and a few slight changes) in there so far has been shown on the show.

Main one (in spoilers):

Summary

Laenor Velaryon actually dies, in a public place, by Ser Qarl’s sword, one account states he was possibly paid by Daemon. The show put a less GoT ending to that tale, switching bodies.

Just out of curiosity if Laenor Velaryon isn’t dead, will someone else be able to bond with his dragon Seasmoke? That is are dragons fooled by a false death the same as humans?

When that kid was wandering around across the heath, i was half expecting the scene to cut to Monty Python’s “It’s” man.

not really weirded out by what consenting adults do

plus, doesn’t this happen all the time from royalties to peasants

Think it’s one thing to read it in a book and another to watch it happen :man_shrugging:

Um, and it happened a few times on GoT.
It’s not TV; it’s HBO.