Happy Thoughts

So when we moved into this house in 2020 it was chaos. We were doing some fairly major renovations and loads of boxes got stacked into three large closets in the attic.

We had to remove these boxes so the electrician could access them. And I said we aren’t putting anything back into storage until we at least know what it is, so we’ve committed to going through five dozen or so boxes.

Already found a lot of family pics and keepsakes and what not. And some antiques. And this makes me happy.

8 Likes

We have so many boxes of old photos. Mrs PZ is going through them and throwing out duplicates, most pictures with no people in them ( all zoo animals look alike), pictures where we can’t ID people, pictures of my dad’s thumb, or other be bad pics

Both my mother and my spouse’s mother cooked roast from frozen. I don’t like pot roast, I don’t think I’ve ever had one that wasn’t like eating a boot.

My spouse has figured out prime rib roasts to perfection though. They also used to cook it past well done, but now does it as well as any I’ve eaten at a restaurant.

I relegated that task to my elder daughter. Sorting photos is a task she can handle (she has a lot of pain issues) and she has a good eye. She even occasionally switches out the framed photos around the house.

My oldest daughter is the keeper of the archives - all the photos my parents had. Even things like my Grandmother’s Yearbook. She is an artist, art teach and is excellent ay digital restorations.

For now, these are our pictures and want to keep them

Got the news on the weekend, cleetus the fetus has arrived.
Spouse is happy to look forward to being a grandparent. I’m not a grandparent, but am excited about meeting a new and interesting family member , watching the learn, and learning all about who they’ll become. Just stuck on the grandparent thing.

I’m going to buy the general relativity for babies books for a shower gift. And I have to refinish a pram. The house my daughter bought, the old guy bought the house new and raised four girls. They left behind their baby pram from the 50s or 60s, I’m going to refurb it so it can be used for another generation in the same house.

4 Likes

Dang just throw the pot roast in a crock pot and pour some wine on it.

Only time my pot roasts are leathery is if I get them too lean and/or cook them too fast.

Maybe. I’m not likely to make the suggestion though. That’s a short path to ‘making your own damn dinner’

1 Like

Sirloin tip was on sale. It was very lean, but I braised it low and slow.

1 Like

Mmmm…beef

But we are having fish tonight and chicken tomorrow.

If you need to cook a roast quickly, I can vouch for the Instant Pot. I think it takes around 90 minutes, maybe just a tad longer, and they are delicious.

2 Likes

True. I have done that as well.

When I google 1950s baby pram I get pictures of strollers. Is this a Canadian v American thing or are you using the wrong word? (I guess you could be referring to a stroller but I have no idea why you would want to use a 1950s stroller, it doesn’t look nearly as convenient as modern baby strollers.)

Obligatory Monty Python meme:

1 Like

We had one that was a large black pram. Less foldable, but was comfortable. It had huge wheels and good shocks - we used it at the beach as it was easy to role at the shore. Pram is more British, but I guess I thought of stroller as more modern

Closer to this

2 Likes

That’s what it is!

I think of “baby carriage” when I think of “pram”… ie baby is on its back, free to move around, able to look at mom or dad or whomever is pushing it.

Whereas when I think of a stroller I think of something where the baby is seated, strapped in, and facing forward.

Some strollers do have the option to snap the car seat in backwards though, making it sort-of carriage-like if that option is selected. So I don’t know what you call that.

Me too, and similarly when I think of “pram”, I think of “baby carriage”. “Baby carriage” is how I would refer to it in the US.

Our kids were before that, don’t recall ever thinking what to call them.

1 Like

When the schools close, we get a robocall at 5 AM. That typically isn’t a happy thought, but today when the call came, I woke up feeling rested. And when I realized I still had another two hours of sleep, it was like Christmas morning.

3 Likes

I got a call at 8:30 from the medic alert people asking if my father needed assistance. Im out of town and nowhere near my parents house right now. Even when im in town i live in manhattan, not near my parents. Im all wtf? Call my mother asap!!! Not sure why i was first on their list. After frantically trying to reach my mother via text and calling she finally answered the phone about 20 minutes later. It was a false alarm as my father accidentally pressed the medic alert button. Happy thought that he is okay, but thanks for almost giving me a heart attack

5 Likes