Happy Thoughts

Yeah i was going to look into some kind of small counter top thing to fry eggs and buy a toaster oven. I dont think i want to replace my working microwave

If anyone has a recommendation of a small counter top thing to fry eggs that would be appreciated

Buy a Ninja Foodi. Best piece of kitchen equipment we own!

For your eggs:

2 Likes

Well the advantage of the microwave / convection oven is that it just takes up the space of a microwave, and I know in Manhattan kitchens space can often be an issue.

My mom has an electric griddle… it’s ok. She really only uses it for pancakes, and maybe to keep something warm at a party.

Yeah if you don’t have the wiring for an electric oven then I guess that’s not an option.

ETA: Yeah, I guess the griddle would suffice for eggs. I’ve heard people swear by cooking eggs in a waffle iron but I’ve never tried it.

Does a microwave/convection oven need the wiring for an electric oven?

I probably wont do that but im curious

Naw, just a three-prong plug.

3 Likes

Yeah, double check me but I’m pretty sure if you have a 15A circuit that currently powers a microwave, should be fine.

1 Like

I was about to say “of course the circuit is 15A”, but this is NYC multifamily, so I have no certainty. Electric ovens (the big kind) normally use a 220V circuit (40A or more), which is why the newsletter is right. They would have a special plug. You can check the wattage of the microwave you have, and if it doesn’t trip the circuit breaker when you use it, any similar rated electric griddle won’t either.

15A circuits will support 1500W-1800W hair dryers without tripping in my experience. Just not multiple ones simultaneously.

2 Likes

The small appliance US versions use a regular 110V plug, not the big 220V outlet a wall oven would use. A rule of thumb that is very likely to be correct is kitchen countertop appliances will use 110V.

the sheets were very cold and crisp tonight

i believe I’m gonna dress as Cousin Eddie for Halloween this year. Just ordered a hat and robe from Amazon, there’s a party tomorrow night that I want to attend, and it says they can be delivered by tomorrow. Hopefully before like 8 pm! This makes me happy.

Now all I gotta do is find a length of plastic orange tube and a half-smoked cigar.

don’t make me look it up

Randy Quaid in the National Lampoon Vacation movies

Christmas Vacation GIF - Christmas Vacation National Lampoons GIFs

1 Like

I took four international students goose hunting today. Mortality rate of goose remains at zero for these guys. Still had a nice nature hike.

Brought them back to my place for supper, deep fried chicken wings and fries. I even managed to find halal wings for the one guy that needs that. Point being I accused the halal guy of cultural appropriation, eating chicken wings.

Also point being, I had six pounds of wings and a lot of fries, and I ate maybe 6 wings. No leftovers to speak of. Holy cow. They were very excited about the prospect of supper.

One of the guys made cookies. Couldn’t figure out what the taste was because he didn’t know the English name. Some googling, turns out it was chick peas. Huh. Also made with gea( I think). Indian butter that I’ve read about but never had.

We have a like 6 by 10 foot map of the world in our dining room. Spent like an hour with the guy from Trinidad and the guy from India talking about places.
The stuff they dont know about Canada is crazy (and the stuff I don’t know about their part of the world, about the same). They seriously didn’t believe the distances or the emptiness of Canada.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying.

Toques off to you for being such a good host.

3 Likes

canada has an astonishing abundance of emptiness.

pun intended?

2 Likes

You could buy a portable butane burner. I have one for tailgating.

Gas ONE GS-1000 7,650 BTU Portable Butane Gas Stove Automatic Ignition with Carrying Case, CSA Listed https://a.co/d/biC6pda

It says “outdoor use only”. Does that make it dangerous to use inside?