Happy Thoughts

I took a bus from Georgetown all the way to Union Station once. :man_shrugging:

This was very close to being an Annoyed Thought, but it has a happy ending.

Yesterday my CHECK ENGINE light came on. I’m leaving for a road trip Friday, so this is a problem. Called the dealer. Did you just get gas? Yes. Might be the gas cap. Try adjusting it. Might take a while for the light to go off, but if it doesn’t, swing by in the morning. Adjusted it, drove to about 5 destinations, light still on.

So this morning I drove to the dealer… who is not especially close to the house, but I like them better than the closer dealer. Wait a while. They come back: car is not drivable… shouldn’t even drive it home. Needs a new part. Part is on back order. One of their other clients has been waiting 6 weeks for the same part. Supply chain issues. They are all out of loaner cars, so sorry.

I was like on the verge of tears because I really didn’t want to cancel my road trip nor pay for a rental car for potentially months on end when a loaner car suddenly materialized. Same make & model, one year newer. Lower trim, so no ventilated seats (boo!) but at least I have a car.

The loaner might be my car for the foreseeable future, depending on how this supply chain stuff works out.

8 Likes

I’m picking up my new car from the dealership next Wednesday at lunch time. Just one more tank of gas to go!

4 Likes

What was the part?

I got one of those diagnostic tools that you plug in when the engine light is on. Saved me a lot of time, if not money over the years. plug it in, enter the code on the web and it tells you what the fault is. Sometimes its an easy fix, sometimes it requires the mechanic.

They cost anywhere from $20 to hundreds. I got the cheap one. it doesn’t remember the codes after you disconnect, but thats about the only drawback I’ve seen.

Coolant bypass valve

The app on my phone now says that all systems are normal on my car, but I don’t know if that got reset when the dealer checked the diagnostic. I know they get money from the manufacturer for doing a warranty repair, but I assume they wouldn’t want to give me a loaner car for weeks on end if my car didn’t actually need the part.

It does seem mildly suspicious that the car’s app says everything is fine though.

My brother said this:

Don’t buy a car to not drive
Don’t buy a gun to not shoot
Don’t buy a wiskey to not drink

2 Likes

Grocery shopping.

Too many people, but also tons of food…

Don’t join GoActuary to not post

4 Likes

I’m visiting a friend in another state to be away from my neighbors and see on facebook that one of my NY friends who I rarely see because we are lazy about keeping in touch happens to be flying in on vacation to visit said city right now, so it’s like OMG WE NEED TO HANG OUT NOW! and totally do stuff we can do in New York where we both live, but never do because we are lazy about making plans.

Do I see brunch in your future???

nope, we are going to a karaoke piano bar, which happens to have a location in new york too, but I have never actually been to the new york location, just the one here and it’s fun.

i don’t actually sing, but i love pianos and watching other people sing.

was gonna go to brunch saturday outside of that, but i cancelled that cause too many things in one day. might do brunch a different day while i’m here.

1 Like

I offered to bring my wife lunch since she was really busy. Forgot to mention I was on the scooter, and she ordered a drink. I managed to make it six blocks with a drink sitting in the storage area under my seat without spilling a drop.

7 Likes

My buddy has a little glovebox-y area and I can stick a to-go cup in there with minimal casualties…usually.

If someone doesn’t know that Buddy is a brand of scooter, that might read quite differently.

2 Likes

I don’t think I ever tried a to-go cup on my Buddy. I ride much to hard to make it anywhere I think.

Yeah, we live on a brick road but the next street over is paved and our alley connects to that road as well, so I always take that way home with my Starbucks or fountain soda. It would really be a giant mess otherwise.

I got new internet installed yesterday, called and canceled with my previous provider today. I had been dreading the call for days, but it went pretty quickly and I never felt defensive, so that’s a big relief.

It certainly helps when you’ve already switched.

4 Likes

My orthodontist appointment yesterday went well. I’ve had Invisalign for 19 months, and 70 trays/aligners. I’m getting another round of refinements, but my orthodontist says she thinks I’ll be done soon, they’re down to just one stubborn tooth.

I’d originally been quoted 24 months of treatment, and that timeline might actually happen.

And now I get 6 weeks off from daytime wear as they make me more trays.

7 Likes

Butter tarts for the camping trip next weekend!

Exactly 23 by my count.

4 Likes