Happy Thoughts

4 indigenous children survived plane crash that killed their mother, and weeks alone in the jungle to be rescued. I would’ve died in that jungle.

4 Likes

Its amazing. I have been talking about this with my wife today.

The youngest was 11 months old!

not the whole time

1 Like

I recently moved from state A to state B. Daughter #2 goes to school in state C. She finally had the opportunity to get a DL for state B. It requires taking a written test & she passed.

Daughter #1 is arriving tonight from a distant country where she got a Master’s degree. I can’t wait for her to ask me a question where the answer is in the affirmative and I can reply, “Yeeehs, Master!”

6 Likes

:lolup: you’re my kind of people!

1 Like

I’m at the airport to go home! Love a vacation and getting a week off work, but the best part is always coming back home.

4 Likes

New boss and I were walking down the hallway and he paid me another compliment…how he likes how I keep things orderly…or something like that.

He’s totally hitting on you…

1 Like

Perhaps, I posted this in the wrong thread.

4 Likes

:popcorn:

1 Like

2 Likes

I hiked for about 3 hours today. Weather was beautiful and I didn’t see a single person.

5 Likes

Are there actually “teachers” like that? The scenario is preposterous .

1 Like

There is a little girl at baggage claim, maybe 3 or 4, her younger sister was getting all mom’s attention and it’s late, so the older girl was having an epic meltdown while their parents were trying to collect all SIX of their bags. A kind older woman walked over and started talking to the older girl like she was a person, a real soft grandmother vibe, she seemed like a very lovely person and the girl stopped screaming completely.

8 Likes

My wife and I saw a similar thing just a few months back - a young mother with an infant and a renegade toddler not staying with the mother. I remember my mother had told me of a similar experience (when I was the renegade toddler and my sister was the infant) and she had to get a total stranger to pick me up to get on the plane.

This time I alerted my wife to what was happening and she sweet talked the toddler back to the mother and the mother was in tears. Quite emotional all round.

3 Likes

I was at a wedding a few weeks ago, saw a young girl get shunted towards the bar in the rush of everyone leaving. She ended up crying, underneath the bar stools. I picked her up and held her high, told her we would go looking for mom. Got her calmed.down as we walked around looking. Eventually mom walks through the door and i hand off the kid. Mom was pissed. At me apparently. Wt actual f.

At my son’s wedding, my 5 yo grandson (his nephew) was getting very restless, mom was trying to calm hi, without disturbing the ceremony. My niece (who my grandson hardly knows, lives in Israel, came without hubby and kids) walks over and holds out a hand to him, which he takes (he isn’t usually so compliant). She walks him off to the side, sits on the grass (outdoor ceremony) and plays quietly with him.

Some mothers don’t react well to any “stranger” handling their child without their permission.

Whole host of reasons really (that I do not agree with)

Paranoia is high now in North America when it comes to small children. Way too much helicopter parenting.

I grew up in Ottawa and we would go around with friends to the park by ourselves to play (our mother was completely fine with this as were other parents).

Now neighbours call the cops when they see your child go to the park at 8/9 years of age.

Its just gotten absurd.

1 Like

I would have stayed with the child while trying not to actually handle her

A wedding is a different venue, you would assume everyone is a known entity and there would be a greater tolerance.

Then again, did she know you were helping the child and not the one who was keeping her from her appointed rounds?

This was at a wedding, not a public event. Everyone there was a known entity one way or another. Mother certainly realized that.

Child was crawled up under the bar behind the bar stools, sobbing. Eff that, I’m picking the kid up and comforting them. I told the kid I would stay with them until we found mom, and hoisted them up high and told them to look around until we see mom.
I think it was more just a shitty mom letting their kid run wild and then finding their kid with a stranger who was looking for them. Like, they’d been caught out as not looking after their child, resulting in this.

I’m comfortable with my actions. I’m not modifying my behaviour around kids in distress because someone else has a runaway imagination. If this was in a public venue, I might’ve done things differently because I’m a total stranger. But that wasn’t the case here.

3 Likes