Happy Thoughts

I think one of my sons does play Pokémon go, but my youngest son is more into the switch Pokémon games. I don’t even know what the difference between all of them are, he got literally four of them for Christmas, and I guess they come in like…pairs or something? He had sword and Pearl before, he got violet and scarlet for Christmas, and also diamond (pairs with Pearl) and Arceus (no pair for that one I don’t think). It’s a little absurd.

Despite all the dire warnings, i breezed through airport security and got to my gate something like 20 minutes after my husband dropped me off. It felt like less, but i spent some time taking stuff out of my pockets and putting it all back in, and some time texting my husband.

2 Likes

I just remembered I have Christmas candy!

6 Likes

Reinsurance renewals finally tied up for next year, so I suddenly have a TON more free time at work. Like I don’t actually know what I’m going to do the rest of the day. Or week. Until quarterly/annual data stuff rolls around. It’s nice.

2 Likes

Buxom, pretty, friendly bartender on during trivia again.

2 Likes

surgeons believe they got it all. kid woke up and had all movement in limbs (location made some of that a remote, but serious, concern). now recovering from surgery and all the pain/discomfort that comes as a natural follow up to what the surgery was.

7 Likes

I’m so glad to hear it! Your son’s friend is blessed to have yinz in his life who care about his well-being. I hope his recovery is quick.

???

was looking in a secondary wallet, and saw a $250 AmEx gift card i got last year. I get them every year from my company and always chuck it when used up.

So i checked the balance, expecting to see a small rounding number remaining.

It was the full $250. And still had a month to go. Easy spend, as I am on the board of some volunteer organizations and needed to make my year end contribution.

1 Like
1 Like

I get all of my tv channels again…in particular FOX which airs NFC football, which I enjoy more than AFC, for whatever reason…probably because that’s what I grew up with.

Happy or Funny? I chose Happy

2 Likes

Audiobooks.

I burnt my forearm on my iron a few months back, and it blistered and scarred over. Recently did the same thing on my other forearm and realized the scar from the first time is so faded now I can barely find it.

2 Likes

For Christmas my mother gave me an automatic (?) wine bottle opener.

For context, my dad is a retired minister in a conservative denomination. My parents never had alcohol in the house that I remember, although she did drink wine as a young adult. Wine and Fresca, she said.

Following in their footsteps, I don’t drink at all, and none of my siblings drink much.

Anyhoo, I had posted on social media a month or so ago about getting a “nice” bottle of wine to put in the crock pot with my roast and then not being able to open it bc I couldn’t find a corkscrew.

So my mom had this lying around the house, unopened, and gave it to me for Christmas. We all had a good laugh. (And who the heck gave this to my parents?)

3 Likes

What would make it automatic?

We have one sort of like this

And the handles to apply pressure against the bottle are greatly appreciated compared to the older way of grabbing the corkscrew handle to pull the cork out. But it certainly isn’t automatic.

We have wine less than once a month. Last night’s experiment was a “spiced apple” wine from the local supermarket, chosen on a whim since they had a section with PA wines. Do not recommend. Oddly, my strongest reaction was that it was so spicy (cinnamon plus others). Wife thought it was so sweet. Daughter took one sip and couldn’t decide whether the predominant characteristic was the sweetness of the spiciness, but she was sure she didn’t want to drink it. So wife and I split hers. In retrospect, her decision was best.

(How can I be writing about that wine in a Happy Thoughts thread? To make the story worse, wife and I each had one small glass Saturday, when daughter wasn’t around, knowing we were going to save the rest for Sunday when all three of us would be. So even though we knew it wasn’t that good, wife and I not only had a full glass each Sunday, we split daughter’s glass.)

Completely off topic, but it’s interesting to me that growing up in an alcohol-free home resulted in you and your siblings not drinking much. I also grew up in a religious conservative alcohol-free home, and all of my 6 siblings (and also myself, for a bit) became big drinkers because of it. Different approaches to parenting, probably!

I also know of several families as large or larger than mine. Some wanted to have large families of their own, and some wanted no kids at all because of the trauma of growing up in a big family, funny how it all shakes out.

Yeah, no big drinkers in our set. And of the grands my 2 are probably the ones that drink the most.

i grew up in an alcohol heavy home and culture and became a moderate drinker myself. my older sib turned pro and retired by the time he was 22. it’s just culture at large IMO

1 Like

I grew up in an alcohol-free home, though I don’t think it was for religious reasons. All 5 children use but don’t abuse alcohol now.

1 Like