Happy Easter, to those who celebrate it

Well, they’ve already experienced our world and Narnia. Now they are in a new place they don’t recognize.

:woman_shrugging:

It never troubled me that they didn’t immediately assume it was Narnia. Of course, the THIRD time they do assume that, but the second?

Protestant for sure (Lutheran). Got a text from my mom, “He is risen!” and responded from obligation “He is risen indeed!” and another sibling responded “Alleluia!” Personally, had a nice morning at home. Made a roast.

Pretty sure none of my siblings go to church but when Mom texts you, you do the thing and pretend you do.

This was super anxiety-inducing till I realized it was pre-pandemic.

I messed up, it’s gotta be

Alleluia, Alleluia!

I’m a bad Catholic…

…but that’s okay, it’s kind of expected.

I mean how many good catholics are there anyway

2 Likes

One. But he died about 2000 years ago.

he was a Jew

1 Like

Peter?

I just watched movie and read the book with my kid. I wouldn’t recommend either. Maybe just getting old, having seen too many surprise resurrections in my time.

I do recommend the original Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen, or Piranesi by Susannah Clark.

John.

He was a bit faster than Peter…

IFYP

3 Likes

Rereading the books, i see why “Prince Caspian” made a shitty movie. The theme of the book is faith, and the climax is when Lucy has to follow Aslan even though her siblings won’t see him. That doesn’t make for gripping visuals.

But the battle that take a couple of pages of the book is most of the movie. They could have done better.

Well, it’s obvious that he wanted seven books, as some of them certainly feel like “filler” to make a nice number. (I’m looking at you, Silver Chair. And frankly, Prince Caspian is a mediocre book, too, even though it has a clear theme. It feels like he wanted to write a sequel and hadn’t yet decided where to go with that.) And i found the parallels between Narnia and the space trilogy interesting. For instance, he was obviously intrigued with the idea of multiple creations. And with the nature of goodness, both in people and in things like food.

But while the companion book might be interesting, i can’t say i ever found the books opaque. I wonder if reordering them makes them more confusing? (When i got them, they were presented in the order in which they were written. They were later sold in internal chronological order.)

ITA with the latter statement, but it was some of the deeper elements that Lewis cleverly embedded in the story line that made this “companion book” very illuminating. Quoting from another publication by the same author (Michael Ward):

“Ward reveals how the Narnia stories were designed to express the characteristics of the seven medieval planets-Jupiter, Mars, Sol, Luna, Mercury, Venus, and Saturn-planets which Lewis described as ‘spiritual symbols of permanent value’.” Note that Prince Caspian is tied to Mars . . . and the sequence here is presented in “publication order” of the Narnia books.

To all Orthodox observers: Christ is risen!!!

1 Like

He is risen, indeed!

1 Like

11 Likes

Well, i just watched “the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe”. It’s a mediocre movie. Partly, the girl who plays Lucy isn’t a very good actress.

They made some interesting literary choices. The movie opens with a scene of German aircraft bombing the Pevensies’s home, and a vignette where Edmund runs back to rescue a photo of his father, who is off fighting the war.

The book was set during the war, of course, but i always felt like that was just an excuse to get the children into an old house in the country. The script writer must have felt that was more central to the story. Or maybe wanted to explain why children were being sent away. Or maybe just thought it would make a gripping opening scene?

The bit with the photo was just made up, and i wonder what the author was thinking.

There are some other weird changes. The beavers squabble in a way that felt off-key to me. Father Christmas tells Lucy not to use the dagger unless she needs to, because war is ugly (leaving out “when women fight”, from Lewis’ extremely gendered view of righteousness) and then hands Susan a bow. In the book, he also tells Susan to try to avoid fighting. In the movie, she asks him, “what about ‘war is ugly?’” and father Christmas laughs at her and takes the opportunity to insult Susan when he gives her the horn. “Well, you have no trouble making yourself heard, but here’s a way to be even louder.”) Huh? And Edmund is brave enough in the battle, but he doesn’t take out the witch’s wand, which was key in the book.

I will certainly not bother rewatching “Prince Caspian”, and friends tell me the “Dawn treader” movie is also weak. (“It doesn’t have a lot of plot, so the movie tries to invent a plot, and it doesn’t work very well.”)

But liked the book enough that i plan to finish the rest of the set. I’m most of the way through “Dawn Treader”, and i think it holds up very well to growing up.

I think it’s meant to show Edmund’s love and respect for his father, and Peter’s instinct to take over his father’s role while he’s away (going after Edmund to drag him back to safety), laying the groundwork for the conflict between them later in the story.

2 Likes

Their was also a visual parallel drawn between the photo of the children’s father and the photo of Tumnus’ father, which otherwise wasn’t mentioned.

One change that i assume was to make the story seem more realistic to the script writer of that the children in the movie spend a lot of energy debating whether to stay in Narnia or go home. That barely comes up in the books.

It’s still the Easter season…

4 Likes

Shouldn’t that be “Hold my water/wine”?

1 Like