Happy Easter, to those who celebrate it

Evidently, the latin word for easter is “Pascha”, which is the latinized “Pesah”, for passover.

When converting the germanic speaking peoples, one allowance for local custom was the use of the word “Easter”, from the pagan goddess Eostre, which was also the name of the month in which easter took place.

The last supper, was a Passover seder.

Though I heard the 2nd description more frequently for the naming of Easter

I do take my faith very seriously, but sometimes you just have to laugh and this made me laugh.

6 Likes

How many of them were written then? :wink:

If you have Disney+, The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe is available to stream. Aslan is played by Qui-Gon Jinn.

I saw a movie of… Maybe Prince Caspian, that was really terrible. Is the Disney Lion, Witch, Wardrobe movie any good?

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe was pretty good. I don’t recall how good Prince Caspian was, and I don’t think I ever saw Voyage of the Dawn Treader (although that was probably my favorite of the books).

There were some pretty bad movies that were made by the BBC or something way back when. I enjoyed them well enough as a kid though.

There’s a cartoon version from 1979 I grew up watching. I’m going to make my kids watch it now…

I loved the Voyage of the Dawn Treader book. Depending on my mood, that might be my favorite, too. (although I also like The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, and The Magician’s Nephew a lot, and my very favorite image from all the books is the garden between the worlds.)

The movie I saw might have been Dawn Treader. Whatever it was, it didn’t follow the book very closely, and had a lot of fighting, and I saw in in a movie theater with my mom who really despised it, and mostly I remember my, and her, emotional reaction to it and not the actual movie. But that was a bad enough experience that I’m shy of watching another movie from the series, especially since I feel like if there had been a good one I would have seen it when it came out.

The first one was ok. The 2nd one sucked. If there was a 3rd one I never saw it.

“Ben-Hur” is an interesting movie with Jesus in a cameo role.
Just watched it all the way through recently.
In the past I’ve only watched the chariots and ships.

1 Like

I like it. As I said, it has Qui-Gon (Liam Neeson) as Aslan; Tilda Swinton does a great job imo as the White Witch; a young-ish James McAvoy plays Tumnus the faun; the child actors are alright & decently cast. The special effects weren’t cutting edge or advanced at the time the film was made (2005) but they were decent.

nitpick about "Disney movie"

Note: while The Lion, Witch, Wardrobe & Prince Caspian & Dawn Treader are now all available on Disney Plus, I’m not sure it’s accurate to call them Disney movies. They were all produced by Walden Media between 2005 & 2010; the first 2 were distributed by Disney, the 3rd by Fox. Disney acquired the rights to Dawn Treader in the 2019 Fox buyout.

I think I’d mostly agree with YankeeTripper that the first movie was pretty good, then the second dropped a lot in quality for some reason (maybe Prince Caspian isn’t as good a book?), then I think Voyage of the Dawn Treader is okay.

I will say it’s been years since I sat down & read the books, & my memory of the ones after Lion, Witch is pretty hazy, so I can’t say how well the movies other than Lion, Witch followed the books - that one followed it very closely, afaict.

2 Likes

Might be true in the liturgical denominations; not so much in many others.

A lot of fighting? That would more likely be Prince Caspian. Not a whole lot of fighting in Dawn Treader.

Also, Prince Caspian deviates the most from “following the book” only in terms of starting at a more interesting place. The book’s starting point would really only make sense (as a reader) if you knew about the woods between the worlds–seen only in The Magician’s Nephew.

However, I would suggest also reading The Narnia Code along side it. I actually found it helped to make better sense of some of the things about the series make far more sense.

Under His Eye.

The Magician’s Nephew had not been published when that book was written. I read the books in publication order, and did not have any problems understanding the start of Prince Caspian. And, re-reading the start of “Prince Caspian”, I can’t actually see what it has to do with the woods in the Magician’s Nephew.

It does start with two paragraphs of exposition to remind you of the first book, and without that I think it would be very disorienting.

From a kid’s perspective, it would be a bit of a stretch to think that the “land” was anything other than Narnia. Especially with the starting point of a reminder of the first book.

??

The wood in the Magician’s Nephew isn’t in Narnia. It is literally between the worlds. Narnia is one of the worlds.

Also, the wood between the worlds is an open glade. Nothing like the wild tangle of woods at the start of Prince Caspian.

I read these as a kid. But i do love woods. As a child, i was intrigued by the wood between the worlds, because I’d never seen a wood anything like that. It turns out they are fault common in Europe, and i first ran into a wood of that sort in Denmark, as a teenager. But it was a very magic and unreal place to me when i first read the book.

Exactly. Why wonder if you were in “another world” other than Narnia if that sort of idea hasn’t been introduced yet.