Gun Violence in America

Guns don’t people. People kill people - much more efficiently when they have guns…

The book’s cover says: “If there is danger, let Winnie the Pooh and his crew show you what to do.” Inside, it includes passages such as, “If danger is near, do not fear. Hide like Pooh does until the police appear. Doors should be locked and the passage blocked. Turn off the light to stay out of sight.”

also, “DONT LISTEN TO FUCKING EEYORE! He always assumes you all will die. So far, he hasn’t been right once!”

Sure he’s no survivor, but he’s far and away the best prepared for the alternative.

Today I saw a young boy wearing a golden cross around his neck and a golden long gun around his neck.

At first it seemed ironic, or maybe just dumb, but then I suppose they’re both classic methods of terrorizing a population through brutality.

2 Likes

I had to look it up. Winnie the Pooh became public domain just last year.

Damn, you’re not wrong.

I saw that a while back because of that Winnie the Pooh slasher movie that came out

“It’s a little Anxious,” he said to himself, “to be a Very Small Animal Entirely Surrounded by Water in an active shooter scenario. Christopher Robin and Pooh could escape by Climbing Trees, and Kanga could escape by Jumping, and Rabbit could escape by Burrowing, and Owl could escape by Flying, and Eeyore could escape by—by Making a Loud Noise Until Rescued, and here am I, surrounded by water in an active shooter scenario and I can’t do anything.”

“There’s Pooh,” he thought to himself. “Pooh hasn’t much Brain, but he never comes to any harm. He does silly things and they turn out right. There’s Owl. Owl hasn’t exactly got Brain, but he Knows Things. He would know the Right Thing to Do when Surrounded by Water in an active shooter scenario. There’s Rabbit. He hasn’t Learnt in Books, but he can always Think of a Clever Plan. There’s Kanga. She isn’t Clever, Kanga isn’t, but she would be so anxious about Roo that she would do a Good Thing to Do without thinking about It. And then there’s Eeyore. And Eeyore is so miserable anyhow that he wouldn’t mind about this. But I wonder what Christopher Robin would do?”

We need to add “Kentucky Man” to the “Florida Man” meme.

1 Like

An article that might be of interest to some participants in this thread:

(tl;dr: the author’s thesis is that it is the combination of accessibility of firearms and socio-economic factors that drive differences in firearm death rates)

1 Like

Thesis seems sound to me, especially when you look at the locations of homicides, vs suicides. There was a homicide in an relatively expensive neighborhood a few years back, when a group of people burglarizing cars early one morning interacted with a person leaving early for the gym. Other than that, a m/s in my old neighborhood, a few apartment homicides in my suburb city over the past several years. In the meantime, our central city with record annual homicide numbers in 2021 and 2022. Rates over 50/100000 for the past few years. Many targeted homicides as opposed to random opportunistic robberies. It is a horrible waste.

Seems obvious results-y to me.

1 Like

Too often advocates for gun control focus just on comparisons of gun control measures in different states when trying to explain differences in deaths-by-firearms.

The article I linked seems to pick up on the nuance of “availability of guns” in such gun control measures, as well as recognizing that there’s something else (the socio-economic angle) in play.

Crime increases with poverty. Gun usage increases with gun ownership. Seems like an obvious result.

Bump,

Of note, because we tire of updating this thread twice a day, on average:

As of 10 a.m. Eastern on July 6, there have already been 360 mass shootings (where four or more people were shot, but not necessarily killed) in the U.S. this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit research group that tracks gun violence.

The Tennessee Legislature is in for a special session in the wake of the Covenant School Shooting. Are they passing bills that could prevent future tragedies, bills that are overwhelmingly supported by Tennesseans including MAGA?

Hell no. They’re suppressing debate and kicking the mother of a murdered child out of the room.

It’s so common, I just assumed this was a new one I hadn’t seen news about yet. Googled it, I have no recollection of it. I’m sure at the time I read and thought, “Oh, another mass shooting” and moved on.

Gotta be in this 2000-post thread somewhere…

It is… happened in March 2023.

Trans-man shot up his Christian former school in the Nashville area. The Representative from that district had a 2022 Christmas card with everyone in the family holding guns in front of a Christmas tree.

I do believe that the discussion afterwards is what earned JSM a permaban from this site. And there was some lying with statistics (not by JSM) thrown in the mix too.