Gun Violence in America

All those Texans and not a single good guy with a firearm. What were the chances of that?

The police officer was on scene for something else and immediately reacted upon hearing shots. The gunman still was able to shoot a bunch before the cop shot him.

No doubt. I’m pretty sure armed police at the mall are a deterrent. But armed civilian good guys, not so much. Very very few people, armed or not, will run towards the shooting. Police are probably one of your best bets to find that sort of altruism.

But believe whatever helps you thru the day.

Sounds like the Allen shooter was both mentally ill and a neonazi.

If the army thinks you are too mentally ill to serve, it should mean you are too mentally ill to own firearms.

4 Likes

SUV plowed into a bus stop full of immigrants in Texas. Not exactly gun violence in America, but I’m dropping domestic terrorism here anyway.

1 Like

Next people will be talking about regulating cars: requiring licenses, insurance, inspections,… just trampling on our god given rights.

4 Likes

They’ll want to limit things like how fast we can drive them too. Probably make people wear seat belts.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/auto-ordnance-trump-5-56x45-ar-15-rifle-tan-artrump.html

Show your support for Trump with the purchase of an AR-15.

This article plays a little fast and loose with the situation, in the apparent interest of sensationalism…but nevertheless it may be of some interest to folks on this thread:

A mentally ill man entered a VA congressman’s district office today armed with a baseball bat and assaulted and injured 2 of them. No one died. Because he didn’t have a fricking gun.

By mentally ill, I mean he filed a lawsuit last year alleging that the CIA had imprisoned him in a lower dimensional “book world” and torturing him from the 4th dimension. I have zero qualms about saying that someone who believes that should not own a gun.

3 Likes

Reminder that Japan had 9 shooting incidents in 2022. Gun ownership exists but is supervised and rare. 6 of those 9 shootings were gang violence.

https://twitter.com/leilasalesbooks/status/1660719700647485467?s=46&t=8umbJCqGBhdEuQmvYbf54w

2 Likes

Ronald Reagan, 1989:

I do not believe in taking away the right of the citizen for sporting, for hunting and so forth, or for home defense. But I do believe that an AK-47, a machine gun, is not a sporting weapon or needed for defense of a home.

Also:

May 3, 1994

To Members of the U.S. House of Representatives: We are writing to urge your support for a ban on the domestic manufacture of military-style assault weapons. This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety. Although assualt weapons account for less than 1% of the guns in circulation, they account for nearly 10% of the guns traced to crime.

Every major law enforcement organization in America and dozens of leading labor, medical, religious, civil rights and civic groups support such a ban. Most importantly, poll after poll shows that the American public overwhelmingly support a ban on assault weapons. A 1993 CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll found that 77% of Americans support a ban on the manufacture, sale, and possession of semi-automatic assault guns, such as the AK-47.

The 1989 import ban resulted in an impressive 40% drop in imported assault weapons traced to crime between 1989 and 1991, but the killing continues. Last year, a killer armed with two TEC9s killed eight people at a San Francisco law firm and wounded several others. During the past five years, more than 40 law enforcement officers have been killed or wounded in the line of duty by an assault weapon.

While we recognize that assault weapon legislation will not stop all assault weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals. We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons.

Sincerely,

Gerald R. Ford

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan

6 Likes

Reagan died 1 month & 2 days after the second letter, which was well into his dementia years. I don’t think you can attach too much significance to that other than someone close to him (perhaps Nancy) told him to sign it.

In this video clip, recorded at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, circa February 1989, “the Teflon President” shared his views on banning assault weapons. This speech marked Reagan’s first public appearance after leaving office and occurred shortly after a [mass shooting]

(1989 Stockton School Shooting – Sactown Magazine) at Cleveland Elementary School in Stockton, California, on January 17, 1989.

“I do not believe in taking away the right of the citizen to own guns for sporting, for hunting, and so forth, or for home defense. But I do believe that an AK-47, a machine gun, is not a sporting weapon or needed for the defense of the home.”

Heck even in 1989 he may not have been all there but we spoke against allowing assault rifles even then.

2 Likes

He was lucid in the 1960s when he spoke about gun control and supported the Mulford Act though. But by today’s Republican standards, what he advocated for back then would 100% be ‘infringement.’

The Overton window has moved so far on gun control, ugh.

1 Like

Sure, can’t disagree with that. I just think throwing up something that happened a month before he died of Alzheimer’s doesn’t really say much.

I agree that his earlier statements are relevant though. And being a Republican Governor of of a blue state it’s perhaps not that surprising that his views on a lot of subjects are more moderate. That is often (though not always) the case.

1 Like

Keep in mind that Reagan’s statement could plausibly be interpreted more narrowly than many modern “assault weapon” ban proposals.

(Short version: A Kalashnikov is a true assault weapon, capable of being used in automatic fire mode. Most AWB proposals these days target “scary-looking” firearms that can only be used as semi-automatics, without doing a good job of considering what features make a firearm sufficiently hazardous to overcome a moderate interpretation of Second Amendment protections.)

Spoiler Alert:
It’s not the firearm that is sufficiently hazardous.

True…but I doubt that politicians will attempt to ban the real danger: people.