GOP vs Disney

Does trump have a platform beyond “make liberals cry”?

1 Like

Does “make money for Trump” count?

That’s the platform Republicans have now adopted.

1 Like

Do the Republicans as a party?

You seem to approve of a governor retaliating against free speech. Why?

2 Likes

Trump has a huge platform. He has no plan, but he has a huge platform. Thars why we’re still talking about him.

“Make liberals cry” does cover a lot of ground.

This saga brings to mind the Blazing Saddles scene where the sheriff takes himself hostage. Except the sheriff doesn’t exactly know what they are doing.

The sad thing is Florida not particularly red. It’s just the country as a whole is on the brink of civil culture war, so Florida is too.

The sad thing is while a large majority of U.S. voters actually support Florida’s new law, a very vocal minority has twisted the language and rhetoric surrounding the law.

1 Like

Source? And do you mean Florida’s “Don’t say gay” law or Florida’s restrictions on Disney?

Is that large majority of US voters a larger percentage or smaller percentage than Trump’s share in the 2020 presidential election? That was a pretty decisive popular vote win, if I remember correctly what Trump claimed.

1 Like

Are you saying there are a large majority of US voters who are anti-Gay bigots?

You may have to include the anti-trans bigots and some other categories of bigots to get to a large majority.

Here’s a link.

No I’m saying no such thing. I merely stating that polling indicates that a large majority of U.S. voters actually support Florida’s new law (especially when they read the actual language in the law rather than the emotional rhetoric of critics.

These 2 posts are a great example of the “twisting the language and rhetoric surrounding the law”.

1 Like

This is downright silly. They ran a poll based on one sentence of the legislation, and that’s America approving it all?

1 Like

Polls suck I can post one that says over 60% of Americans oppose, including every age group over 50% and you can counter with a poll that over half of Americans approve, I’ve seen both.

Allowing parents to sue teachers over ideas they don’t like is downright Fascist pure and simply.

I can’t recall if the suing is in the don’t say Gay bill or the Arizona one or both but it’s pretty clear the Republicans have gone way down the big government Authoritarian yellow brick road.

1 Like

This is the bill that prohibits/limits instruction in sexual orientation:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/1557/BillText/er/PDF

146 (II) Bring an action against the school district to obtain
147 a declaratory judgment that the school district procedure or
148 practice violates this paragraph and seek injunctive relief. A
149 court may award damages and shall award reasonable attorney fees
150 and court costs to a parent who receives declaratory or
151 injunctive relief.

I don’t know that the poll tells us much.

Who doesn’t believe that children should be instructed about gender and sexuality in an age appropriate way?

The rub is disagreement about what that means in practice.

It appears that if a teacher discusses a first grader’s same sex parents in class, then parents can sue the school district for that. Do you think 60% of parents support that? I don’t.

Yep, that’s the concern. Note that the law goes into effect 7/1/22, but the department has until 6/30/23 to develop the age appropriate standards the teachers are supposed to follow.

157 Section 2. By June 30, 2023, the Department of Education
158 shall review and update, as necessary, school counseling
159 frameworks and standards; educator practices and professional
160 conduct principles; and any other student services personnel
161 guidelines, standards, or frameworks in accordance with the
162 requirements of this act.
163 Section 3. This act shall take effect July 1, 2022.